Vitiman E And Thyroid Surgery - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Vitiman E And Thyroid Surgery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jean

jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:07 AM

Advertisement

I am scheduled for thyroid to be removed Tuesday, March 2. Received a letter in the mail today stating that I should not take any vitiman E for 10 days before surgery.....ugh, I have been taking omega 3, 6 , 9 which does contain 10 iu of vitiman E twice daily. There are only 5 days left before surgery....it is the weekend..I can't reach the doctor to ask questions. I also take blood thinner, warfarin, which I am to stop on Saturday. Then on Monday morning @ 8am I am to start giving myself lovenox injections for 2 days every 12 hours. The lovenix is costing me over 200 dollars for 4 shots. I do not want to take it if the surgery will have to be cancelled because I have not been off Vitiman E for 10 days...man, how did I get myself into such a mess. If I wait until I can reach the doctors office on Monday morning to start the lovenox, I think it will be to late to start the lovenox. Any one know anything about what I should do??? I understand vitiman E acts as a blood thinner....Any helpful information on the subject would be appreciated. I really do want to have the surgery if at all possible.

Advertisement

#2 Marti

Marti

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:29 AM

Did you try calling the doctor? Or the hospital? Someone has to be there that can help you. I really don't know what to say...

Good luck!

#3 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4048 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Definitely get a hold of the doctor's office Monday and explain that you were still taking vitamin E in your omegas. Tell them how much was in it too.

Good luck and {{{hugs}}}

#4 Lakelover

Lakelover

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

I am scheduled for thyroid to be removed Tuesday, March 2. Received a letter in the mail today stating that I should not take any vitiman E for 10 days before surgery.....ugh, I have been taking omega 3, 6 , 9 which does contain 10 iu of vitiman E twice daily. There are only 5 days left before surgery....it is the weekend..I can't reach the doctor to ask questions. I also take blood thinner, warfarin, which I am to stop on Saturday. Then on Monday morning @ 8am I am to start giving myself lovenox injections for 2 days every 12 hours. The lovenix is costing me over 200 dollars for 4 shots. I do not want to take it if the surgery will have to be cancelled because I have not been off Vitiman E for 10 days...man, how did I get myself into such a mess. If I wait until I can reach the doctors office on Monday morning to start the lovenox, I think it will be to late to start the lovenox. Any one know anything about what I should do??? I understand vitiman E acts as a blood thinner....Any helpful information on the subject would be appreciated. I really do want to have the surgery if at all possible.

Jean,

Call a pharmacy and ask to speak with a pharmacist - they might have your answer.

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service