Propylthiouracil - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Propylthiouracil

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Matey

Matey

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:39 AM

Advertisement

So I've just come back from Endo and she has taken me off carbimazole due to the ongoing inflammation in my knee, foot and now elbows.

Since starting carbimazole I have also developed itchy weeping welts all over my scalp and various other places.  Endo recommends radio active iodine or thyroidectomy as opposed to me taking Propylthiouracil which I insisted on trying.  What's the deal with this drug, sounds scary?

I asked her if she would take the drug herself and she said if it were her, she would have a thyroidectomy rather than taking Propylthiouracil.

Thanks

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4048 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

Hi:

PTU comes with a warning of it's possible effects on the liver.  That was put in a few years back when an 8 year old child died from taking it.  

http://www.fda.gov/D...s/ucm162701.htm

I have never taken this drug so it is second in line for treatment with Tapazole (MMI, CBZ, etc.) being first choice.  If you did not do well with taking the CBZ for the symptoms you were having, and if it were me, I'd try the PTU next and see how I did.

{{{hugs}}}

#3 sara

sara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:37 PM

Yes, the biggest reason I have heard is the liver damage. I have been taking 100mg [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Propylthiouracil[/color] twice a day for six months (since diagnosis) with no problems. My doctor actually started me on this rather than Tapazole. I have heard tapazole is more potent than PTU, but I haven't had ill side effects from taking PTU. My levels easily balanced, but I still got side effects of a high heart rate and anxiety which had to be combated with a beta blocker.

#4 snuble

snuble

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

Hi Matey,

after being diagnosed Graves Disease I started taking Thiamazol. Unfortunately my liver stats (ggt, got and gpt) went bad really fast and after three weeks I had a heavy allergic reaction, so I had to change to PTU (Propycil/[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Propylthiouracil[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] ). In my case, it helped normalizing the liver stats very fast although I had to take high doses for two weeks (400 mg: four times à 100 mg the day). [/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]In the meantime I'm down alternating 50 mg one day, 75 mg the other day.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]All three weeks when the doc is taking blood examination he checks the liver stats plus leucocytes too. That's very important, the monitoring of these blood levels.[/color]

All in all I'm glad that I have the possibility to try another medicamental treatment. 

Good luck!

edit: here - in Germany - I got a warning from the doctor about the risks with PTU because of the possibility of heavy liver damage. I decided to give it a try and for me it was a good choice - so far.

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service