Looking For Advice On Labs - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Looking For Advice On Labs

Labs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ShellyAnn

ShellyAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

Advertisement

Hi I just got new labs. I thought were going to be great this time, but my t3 is off more than I thought and I think it's causing me to be a little hypo. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Free t3 (2.18-3.98)
Tsh (0.358-3.740)
Free t4 (0.8-1.6)

free t3 10/10 normal 2.44 Now: high 4.11
Tsh. 10/10 normal 0.376 Now: low 0.007
Free t4 10/10 low 0.6 Now: normal 1.3

Dose prior to 10/10 was methamazole 5 mg 2xday
After 10/10 labs it was changed to methamazole 7.5 mg daily

Am I hypo? Hyper?
What dose should my doctor be changing to?
I feel like I am so close- but one small change and everything goes crazy it seems.

Thank you so much for any advice,

Advertisement

#2 ShellyAnn

ShellyAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

I forgot. I did get others look work done on 10/10.

Thyroglobin Antibodies normal <1
Thyroid peroxidase antibodies high 264
Tbii high 65.8
Tsi high at 504

Thank you so much

#3 ShellyAnn

ShellyAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:16 PM

Would atenolol lower my t3? I was on at one point but my endo only told me to take for a month and then decreased and never discussed again. Sorry keep thinking of things. Now I am just seeing my pcp because the endo I was seeing was basing my medication off my tsh.

#4 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4048 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:28 PM

Look at Orion's thread which a high T3 is a problem.  Might want to look at your diet and/or the supplements you are taking (if any) and see as Yvonne mentioned.  See if that can be resolved before resorting to trying the Atenolol.

{{{hugs}}}

#5 ShellyAnn

ShellyAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:43 PM

So i should stay the same dose?. I am also on Wellbutrin could this make myt3 elevated?

#6 ShellyAnn

ShellyAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:51 PM

I am wondering if it could be stress? I have had a lot of stress recently. Is the level just slightly elevated-or does this have a Hugh impact on my going into a remission. If my t4 is good, can I eventually go into remission or will the high t3 level prevent that?

#7 Misty

Misty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:42 AM

Hi ShellyAnn,

Your T3 is only slightly elevated. Our expert Elaine Moore used to say it's as if T3 is measured in ounces while T4 is measured in cups.

We see cases where T3 is high when the T4 is too low, as if to compensate, but your T4 is pretty good (middle of the range would be 1.2).

Looking at Google and Google Scholar, I don't find any info on Wellbutrin affecting thyroid levels.

Stress is a big trigger, especially chronic/ongoing stress. Can you add some stress reduction techniques--even as simple as a long bath, a walk, a yoga class?

In October you still had moderately high antibodies, so you still have a way to go. That probably explains why your levels are so sensitive.

As far as dose, I would stay with the 7.5 but be sure to take it in two doses, and then get new labs after the holidays.

Hang in there!

Yvonne, remission since 2005 

#8 ShellyAnn

ShellyAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:02 AM

Thank you. Yes I definetly need to work on stress. I am having a hard time finding Orion's post to the high t3. My antibodies seem to be dropping each time. When the antibodies are gone will that mean the graves is in remission? Or just that my level is controlled. Also as my antibodies drop. My goiter or my eyes don't seem to be improving at all. Is this normal? Will they ever resolve?

#9 ShellyAnn

ShellyAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

Just got more labs back. Oh no my tsi is increasing it went up to 551 but my tpa dropped to 191? What does this excactly mean?

#10 ShellyAnn

ShellyAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:47 AM

Just got more labs back. my tsi is increasing - from 504 to 551 but my tpa dropped from 264 to 191? What does this excactly mean? My eye disease seems to be worsening. My eyesight is worse and I am seeing a lot of double vision recently my eyes hurt when I rub them. My left eye protrudes more than my right. I had someone ask me the other day is your left eye bigger than you right. I could have died. I felt horrible

#11 ccooney

ccooney

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi ShellyAnn,

Sorry I can't answer many of your questions, but I also have thyroid eye disease so I am writing a little about that.  I am wondering if you have seen an opthamologist who has experience with TED.    Although there is not always a lot they can do, it is good to have someone following changes and evaluating things.  I know how upsetting these eye changes can be, and its nice to have someone else involved.  My eye doctor has recommended that I take Selenium supplements.  I think the medical community is still in the process of evaluating whether or not these protect eyes in the case of TED, but there is one study that found that to be the case.  Here is a link to a summary by the American Thyroid Association

http://www.thyroid.o...-issue-8-p-3-4/

The recommended dose is just the RDA of selenium on a daily basis, or something close, nothing high.  I find that most times the smallest amount you can find in stores is slightly above the RDA. 

In my case I don't have anything to compare it to, as I started taking Selenium almost as soon as I was diagnosed, but I would say my eyes have stayed quite stable since their initial problems.  I also have a slight eye protrusion and lid lag, one more than the other. 

Hope this helps some.  Best wishes and hope you keep in touch with the forum.

#12 ShellyAnn

ShellyAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

Thank you. I did get my initial appt with an opthamologost but it's in feb. I will look into the suppliments. Thank you so much. Do you think it has helped to stabilize it or did it improve any with it

#13 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4048 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:09 PM

Hi:

Selenium is to be taken if the Free T3 is low.  If high, please avoid because it will raise your levels.

I find my body symptoms can take a while to adjust once thyroid levels normalizes.  Just give yourself a bit of time.

{{{hugs}}}

#14 ccooney

ccooney

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

Hi ShellyAnn,

It is very difficult to say whether the Selenium has improved my eyes or kept them stable.  Initially, when my T3/T4 levels were way out of normal range, my eyes hurt so much at night that I had to put ice on them during the night.  Since that time I have taken Selenium, but also my thyroid levels have come within a moderate range by taking Methimazole.  My eyes definitely stabilized as my left eye had moved 1 mm out, but since then has been stable.  But I don't know if it has more to do with the drop in my thyroid levels, or the Selenium.  Since I don't know, I am trying to keep my thyroid hormone levels stable as well as taking Selenium.  Even though Selenium might raise T3 somewhat, I think that can be controlled by Methimazole.  I honestly don't think anyone knows the answer at the moment.  I believe there are some studies being done to confirm or negate the original study published in the New England Journal of Medicine of an Italian study which found a protective effect of Selenium on TED.

Best wishes,

Carolyn

#15 fireball

fireball

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:45 AM

I wouldn't start selenium until your Free ts are low on  the range. Once in range I would eat 3 brazil nuts per day. If they go low you can supplement with selenium.

Your TSI change is minor and is related to the variables within the blood draw. I don't think they have gotten worse.

The ticket for eye improvement for me was diet change. After eating sushi or some iodine rich foods I can feel eye strain. I am very careful. I also find low dose naltrexone a huge help.

Good Luck! I hope you feel better

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service