9 replies to this topic

#1 peewee

peewee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:39 PM

Advertisement
Well its been a while since i posted Im curious about my new levels , I was not feeling well on my 150mcg dosage and I upped my Levathroid in little peices and now my TSH is 0.03 reference is 0.4-4.00 my FREE T4 is 1.24 refrence is 0.70- 1.48. Im not sure what this means my TSH has never been this low am I hypo or hyper?? My last levels before i upped my meds was TSH 1.49 and FREE T4 was 1.01 I see my Endo friday he is going to wonder what is going on.
It scares me a little so the question is what did taking a little more do ?

Hugs Peewee :( :blink:

Advertisement

#2 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:10 AM

Hi Peewee,
You are neither Hypo nor Hyper according to your FT4.You are in the upper range of your FT4.If you feel good where you're at,then great,if not then you may want to lower your dose.
What symptoms were you having to make you increase?
Your doc may try to lower your dose if he/she goes by TSH.You'll need to fess up to what you did.If you get lowered you won't have enough to make it through the month.

#3 cd3764

cd3764

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

Hi PeeWee

Taking more replacement will increase your FT4 (Free T4) levels....in Graves' disease, it is common to have suppressed TSH
due to TSI, one of the Graves' antibodies, stimulating the thyroid. The pituitary recognizes this and stops producing TSH.
Your body is doing the right thing.

I don't know what kind of symptoms you were having to motivate you to increase your dose - were they hyPO symptoms such
as fatigue, weakness, hair loss, constipation? If yes, a dose increase was appropriate.

Your FT4 level is completely within range - admittedly, it is towards the higher end of your lab's range but, each of us feels
better at their own "best place" within the range so, if you're feeling good with your most recent FT4, that could very well
be the best place for you.

Jody pinned a link that I found to a site that has links to some great information.....the various links explain the reason
for suppressed TSH, why dosing should not be based upon TSH when Graves' disease is involved and also why doctors
and patients should have no concerns about cardiac or bone issues with suppressed TSH (that's all I heard about from
endo #2 - I didn't have those links back then but am saving them in case I need to use them with endo #3)

The link is listed under "New links by members".....you might want to read the stuff and print it out in case you need it
with your endo.

If you're feeling good right now and the endo wants to reduce your dose because of your TSH, he/she is dead wrong
and these links should help you fight your fight.

Good luck!

Please let us know how you make out.

#4 peewee

peewee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Thank you I was feeling Hypo and my endo wouldnt raise it so I did I guess Ill have to fess up friday. Its my 6 month visit , I had a TT Feb 2008 so I have been trying to find my good level

Hugs

#5 Lolly

Lolly

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

Hi Peewee,

What did you up your levathroid too. when you do see your Endo fess up what you did and if he isn't going to look at your TSH but your FT4 and possibly FT3 if you have one then tell him how you feel.

I had to do the same myself recently, I knew I was hypo because my labs showed it, High TSH going straight from hyper to hypo in just over 4 weeks low FT3, FT4 still in range but creeping down over the weeks first thing to shoot up was the TSH even 175 mcg wasn't bringing it up much so I alternated doses of 175 and 200 and I told my endo last week I had done that he was happy I had. I am lucky in I get a 3 month supply of levothyroxine but I had every intention of telling him, he had cancelled my appointment in August and I wasn't about to go another 2 months feeling crap. Its the first time on T4 that I have taken it upon myself to increase my dose and for me it worked out this time. I feel so much better the best I have felt since getting this TT 21/2 years ago.

Do tell your endo how you were feeling and what you increased your dose too.

Lolly

#6 peewee

peewee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

Well what I did was take my 125 mcg I had left and halfed them and then I halfed the halves. so I hope Im close to 175 not sure. I just took my labs and I was shocked to see my TSH at 0.03 I never had o it that low so I was worried, My T4 raised but I do feel better I have lost some weight . I know you pretty much know me by now Im not good with level reading you have been so helpful. My Endo is not as nice as yours if you remember I was going to fire him he really bases on TSH and he has been with me from my Diagnoses withe Graves all the way to my TT,

Well ill see him friday ill see how he reacts its my body and if I dont feel right and he doesnt want to help Ill help myself lol Ill let you know what happens

Hugs :rolleyes:

#7 Lolly

Lolly

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:03 PM

What do you get your doses in we get 25mcg, 50mcg and 100mcg so no need to split medication you were taking more that 175mcg more like 182 mcg if you quartered a 125mcg tablet and added it too 125mcg..did you up your medication based on labs or just by symptoms, I didn't increase mine until I knew my t levels were just not responding Quickly to the increase but instead of taking a full dose I alternated it so it based over a week rather than per day that way you can increase in smaller increments it could be that this dose is a little too high for you as your FT4 is in the upper third of the ranges no FT3 so don't know where that is. I would lab again soon, and maybe take that quarter every other day.

How did you get on yesterday?

Hugs
Lolly

Well what I did was take my 125 mcg I had left and halfed them and then I halfed the halves. so I hope Im close to 175 not sure. I just took my labs and I was shocked to see my TSH at 0.03 I never had o it that low so I was worried, My T4 raised but I do feel better I have lost some weight . I know you pretty much know me by now Im not good with level reading you have been so helpful. My Endo is not as nice as yours if you remember I was going to fire him he really bases on TSH and he has been with me from my Diagnoses withe Graves all the way to my TT,

Well ill see him friday ill see how he reacts its my body and if I dont feel right and he doesnt want to help Ill help myself lol Ill let you know what happens

Hugs :rolleyes:

#8 cd3764

cd3764

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:45 AM

Just a thought to toss out.....have you considered finding another endo/doctor who would medicate you better?

I spent way too much time with endo #2 - I was symptomatically hyPO for much of this year. I liken my experience
to dating the wrong guy for too long.

Just started with endo #3 - she did agree to my initial treatment ideas but her ideas re TSH just might limit her
"usefulness".....I already have a first-available appointment in mid-January with a family practioner that was listed on the
"Top Thyroid Docs" website - one of the patient comments was that this doctor was a breath of fresh air after dealing with two endos stuck on TSH.

Remember, we are the consumers and our doctors are supposed to be providing a service. Do we keep going
to the same auto repair shop if they try to fix the wrong thing each time?

#9 Lakelover

Lakelover

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

I would be really curious to know a running lab history of all of us who have had a TT to determine if any of us run a TSH when our FT-4 (and FT-3) are in a reasonable range.

From what I am reading on this board none of us have a TSH while on replacement enough to get us in mid FT ranges.

I just ordered a lab sheet from Labcheck to find out why I am experiencing a sudden fatigued feeling - so bad I find myself going to bed for a early morning nap as well as a mid afternoon nap. I have had a bout of extreme stress so I am curious to see where I test.

SusieQ says I've been hypo since surgery but it just now seems to be catching up to me. I always felt fine so did not mess with meds until a GP insisted I try Cytomel a year ago which helped in the beginning but now just complicates my situation because I have added another variable to the picture. :wacko:

#10 cd3764

cd3764

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

I would be really curious to know a running lab history of all of us who have had a TT to determine if any of us run a TSH when our FT-4 (and FT-3) are in a reasonable range.

From what I am reading on this board none of us have a TSH while on replacement enough to get us in mid FT ranges.

I just ordered a lab sheet from Labcheck to find out why I am experiencing a sudden fatigued feeling - so bad I find myself going to bed for a early morning nap as well as a mid afternoon nap. I have had a bout of extreme stress so I am curious to see where I test.

SusieQ says I've been hypo since surgery but it just now seems to be catching up to me. I always felt fine so did not mess with meds until a GP insisted I try Cytomel a year ago which helped in the beginning but now just complicates my situation because I have added another variable to the picture. :wacko:

Rose

I posted a link for Angel (OT to Angel) with some interesting stuff I read about replacement and TSH.....it seems that Armour,
especially, can cause a reduction in TSH.

Don't know if this will help in your case but I think you can tell I'm always thinking about you. Heck, we're all battling the
battle of suppressed TSH with our docs!

Good Luck!

Carol

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service