3 replies to this topic

#1 CheriT

CheriT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

Advertisement
Hi - I have Graves Disease and my levels are all over the place I am wanting to change my diet in the hopes that it may help. So if anyone knows any information on what foods are best to avoid and why and also which food are best to eat and why that would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks, Cheri

Advertisement

#2 cd3764

cd3764

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

A very comprehensive list of foods to eat/avoid are listed in the Thyroid 101 subforum here (look above the discussion area)
under "Diet and Exercise)

#3 CheriT

CheriT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

#4 Jenna

Jenna

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

I have done a LOT of dietary changes as a result of GD and to help improve my symptoms. First of all, I will say this: no matter what dietary changes I have made, my TSH and FT4 did not change at all or got worse. I was not getting my FT3 tested at that time because my endo did not know what he was doing (sorry, but it's the truth). When I make dietary changes, I feel much better, so that leads me to believe that it does affect my FT3 even though it did not show up in the FT4 or TSH.

I will also say that I have had a lot of food intolerances and food allergies my whole life, so some of these restrictions are probably not necessary for everyone. Also, I think that I have a systemic yeast problem and I think that GD has messed up my digestion even more than it was on its own.

I have found that I feel best when I do not eat any grains, beans, dairy, and potatoes, and only limited frult. I also don't eat tree nuts, but that is only because my baby, who is nursing, can't tolerate them. What do I eat? Lots of vegetables, vegetable soups, avacados (technically a fruit), coconut flour, coconut oil, meat, and limited, low-sugar fruit (usually berries). Although it is very restrictive, this diet has helped me to feel MUCH better. I am on ATDs now, and once my levels are better for a while, I might try to add back a few foods, like sweet potatoes and more fruit. also, I don't know if it was GD or just the natural progression of things, but I have become lactose intolerant. I thought it was just GD because I had a lot of diarrhea, but then I figured out it was dairy and I am much improved.

I hope this helps. By the way, many of the ideas for this diet came from the GAPS diet and the Paleolithic diet. Search either on Google and you will get a lot of information.

Also, if I had to recommend just one thing in terms of dietary changes, in addition to what Elaine Moore recommends (getting rid of sugar and gluten), I would suggest adding coconut oil. I feel great whenever I eat it. It is great to use for baking.

Good luck!
Jenna

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service