Gluten Free - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Gluten Free

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CrystalLen

CrystalLen

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

Advertisement

I just wanted to know if anyone here has gone gluten free and it helped the thryoid?

I have had two instances that about 3 months going gluten free I was able to come off ATD meds. Granted I was splitting 5mg tablets into 1/4 and taking either 1/4 or 2/4.

Gluten free for me has been the difference between being on meds or off meds.

Crystal

Advertisement

#2 Misty

Misty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

Congratulations on going gluten free--I know it isn't easy.

Elaine Moore has frequently mentioned that this is a helpful step for most people with Graves'--that many of us are gluten intolerant and that removing this source of allergic reaction will calm down the autoimmunity. I believe she herself eats gluten free. I've also seen the positive effects for my brother-in-law, who says he feels much healthier when he stays away from gluten.

Bets wishes,
Yvonne

#3 soops

soops

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

Well, I had to go gluten free as I have Coeliac Disease. Despite going gluten free I still had to have my thyroid surgically removed, so the two things don't necessarily go hand in hand. There are also some benefits to some products containing gluten. Here in the UK, things like bread and breakfast cereals are fortified with various vitamins and minerals. By reducing or eliminating gluten you could also be reducing your intake of important vitamins.

I would recommend finding out what, if anything, you're intolerant to before embarking on a diffult food regimen. Avoiding wheat, oats, barley and rye is difficult and not always pleasant. Why put yourself through that if you don't need to?

Su

#4 CrystalLen

CrystalLen

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:32 PM

I would recommend finding out what, if anything, you're intolerant to before embarking on a diffult food regimen. Avoiding wheat, oats, barley and rye is difficult and not always pleasant. Why put yourself through that if you don't need to?

I have had a lot of testing here. IgG testing (wheat and rye were positive) Celiac panel negative at one lab and then another lab I tested positive for only transglutamise. My doctor said it was not celiac but a subset of Celiac. When I tested positive IgG for wheat I was told that I may just need to remove it and heal my gut then I could eat it again. Hence thyroid in remission and then back on meds again when I started to eat wheat again.

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service