#1 Brenda

Brenda

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

Advertisement
Hi, I am currently on antibiotics for a sinus infection and have had some ear discomfort during this time. The infection probably extends to the ears too. For the past 3 days my ears have been ringing non stop. I have had ringing in the past but for a few seconds and then it goes away. This seems to be hanging on. Sometimes it is quieter than others but always there. Anyone else deal with this. Is there anything that helps. I don't think it's graves related but have read it can happen when you are Hypo. I am more on the hyper side of normal at this time. Labs in two weeks will tell more. Just wondered if it will subside as the infections leave. I have two more days of antibiotics. What do you all think??? Brenda

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

Hi:

Did you check and see if this is a side effect of the antibiotics? It could also be related to your sinus infection, the pressure and all that...? Let us know if it subsides when the infection leaves.

I know my ears ring more when hypO and I have a profound hearing loss!

Take care... :)

#3 cd3764

cd3764

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

Hi there, Brenda

I'm with Linda re checking possible causes. And, believe you me, I completely understand what you're
going through....I have tinnitus (chronic ear ringinig)....have had it since I was a teenager....it supposedly
accompanies hearing loss - and I've had some supposedly genetic hearing loss for most of my life.

And, yes, it can be louder sometimes than others.....and one ear can be ringing a different "tune" than
the other at times. Gotta love the human body!

Good luck - hope you're feeling better soon!

:-) Carol

#4 Brenda

Brenda

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:22 AM

HI Girls,
I researched and found the ear ringing to be a rare side effect of the azithromycin antibiotic I have been taking. I took my last one last night and will see if the ringing subsides in a day or two. I don't know how long it takes for it to leave the body. Thanks for your input and God bless, Brenda :blink:

#5 Monica

Monica

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

Most people with chronic tinnitus respond very well to ear candling. The candling process creates just enough pressure/suction to realign the tiny bones of the ear and removes any excess wax build up (and anything else that shouldn't be in your ear canal, I know of one person who had a sequin in her ear she didn't know about). Since yours is most likely from the infection or a side effect of the antibiotics, it should be gone in a few days. If not, you can check at your local health food store about candling if this interests you.

#6 Brenda

Brenda

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

Thanks a bunch Monica, I will look into that if it is necessary. Nice to know there is something to try if this doesn't go away like it should. Bless you, Brenda

#7 pbhunt

pbhunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

The dangers of ear candling may be found at the following link:

http://www.quackwatch.org

I hope you're feeling better soon, when you are off of the antibiotics.

#8 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

Most people I know have successfully done well with ear candling without any problems. I would consider it since I get ear wax built up easily. I have also used Hydrogen Perioxide for a few mins in each ear without an problems as well.

Take care... :)

#9 Monica

Monica

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

I don't believe anything I read at quackwatch. Linus Pauling is on there for his research into vitamin C...the same research that earned him the nobel prize.

#10 pbhunt

pbhunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

I'm not sure what Vitamin C has to do with ear candling? Dr. Linus Pauling received his Nobel Prize for biochemical research into hemoglobin.

"World peace was Pauling's passion, but he was equally as dedicated to chemistry as it helps humanity. His 1954 Nobel Prize was awarded for his work on genetic influences in relation to the atomic structure of proteins in hemoglobin. He discovered that sickle cell anemia is caused by genetic defect.

Professor Linus Pauling was considered the Champion of Vitamin C and its curative powers. "

I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Pauling when he was a guest lecturer in chemistry at our university. My chemistry instructor and Dr. Pauling had worked together on defense projects (part of atom bomb research) during the war, and they were close friends. They had absolutely fascinating stories about working in isolated research locations on various aspects of the "project".

It is my opinion that the risks of sticking burning objects into the ear should be presented along with any recommendation to do the same. ;-)

#11 Monica

Monica

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

My recommendation was to check into ear candling not to go ahead and do it. I firmly believe that everyone should do their own research and only try those therapies that they feel comfortable with. My only objection to your comment was using quackwatch as a source and not that you were closed minded to ear candling. I have been candling for 15 years and doing it professionally for three years. Several ancient cultures all over the world have been doing it for thousands of years including the Native American culture. I recognize it is controversial, but then again, taking ATDs instead of RAI is controversial too. We can only present information here, everyone else needs to do their research. That is best done by speaking with qualified people in their area and questioning happy and unhappy clients. There are a couple of books on candling available as well.

#12 Lolly

Lolly

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

I would be skeptical about ear candling too and research it first.

Here is another link.

http://www.associate...ly_work_or.html

The belief is that ear candles create a vacuum as they burn, which draws fluid and wax from the ear canal. Some believers in the practice say that the smoke from the burning candle actually dries out the ear canal, which stimulates the body's natural excretion of wax and other debris from the body.
When the process is done as directed, the person will certainly discover a fair amount of what appears to be ear wax, pulled into the lower portion of the ear candle.

However, the journal Laryngoscope published a study which looked at the value and safety of ear candles. Researchers proved that ear candles do not create a vacuum. In fact, within their study, some subjects actually had candle wax deposited into their ears.

The same journal article also revealed the results of a survey involving 122 otolaryngologists. Within the group, 21 ear injuries were identified in patients as a result of using ear candles.

The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified ear candles as medical devices. They warn that the practice of ear candling creates a serious risk of fire, burns and injury to the ear, surrounding skin and hair. In 1998 the FDA gave a strict advisory to Nature's Way, oa company i
n West Columbia, South Carolina, that it would be illegal for them to continue marketing ear candles due to the fact that they are unapproved devices that would be dangerous to use as suggested within their catalog.

Because of their risks, it is already illegal for ear candles to be sold in Canada, and the country has issued directives which prohibit their importation.

This would have me worried, anyone can do this procedure on another person without any formal training and there is no evidence to suggest that it works. Other than what damage it can cause.

http://www.cbc.ca/co...ndle/index.html

Lolly

#13 Monica

Monica

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

Thank you Lolly for posting the study. It makes me wonder if there is no medical evidence to their efficacy, why they would be considered a medical device? Aside from any possible dangers such as fire, why would something that merits no positive benefits need to be limited to only MDs. To me it is just another attempt by the FDA to control or limit any product or therapy that takes away from the pharmaceutical industry.

My research is entirely anecdotal. I've been doing it for years and haven't had any fire or wax dripping in my ears issues. I feel comfortable enough to do it by myself, to myself with the aid of a hand mirror. I take more precautions than most when doing it on others. I cover the head with a fire retardent cloth and I don't burn the candles all the way down. There are certification and training programs for candling. If anyone is interested in trying this for the first time and wishes to go to someone to have it done, ask them about their experience, training and safety precautions. Ask to speak to clients and find out first hand how much benefit they received.

I can only recall one person who told me they couldn't tell a positive difference from candling. Everyone else I have worked with have seen improvements in hearing, ringing, ear aches or whatever they were wanting to be candled for. I have met many people over the years from working in health food stores or hanging out with alternative folks who didn't believe in candling. Almost none of them had actually done it. They claimed that the wax left in the candle is not ear wax, but is instead candle wax. I can't speak for others, but this had not been my experience. I have burned candles outside of ears and compared the differences in the residue. Some of the powdery residue comes from the candle and some of the residue comes from candida. In my opinion, the hard dark wax in the candle is excess ear wax. The only negative experience I have personally experienced was some dryness in my ears. Typically you would burn two candles in each ear, but I usually only burn one in each ear. If there is a need for a further candle, I will schedule this for a week later to minimize dryness. There are some that believe the candles not only realign the tiny bones in the ear, but also balances the chi flow and fine tunes sensitivity to energies and psycho-intuitive information. I find it hard to believe that this practice would not have developed and survived independently in distant native cultures all over the world if there weren't some benefits.

Lolly has posted a study and some FDA warnings. My information is anecdotal. If you are interested in this type of treatment, contact someone in your area, or read one of the several books on the subject. Further research may find additional published studies. As always, do your own research.

#14 Brenda

Brenda

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hi all,
Sounds like I started some kind of upheaval here. I appreciate all the advice and be assured that I would never do something without researching first and finding someone who is trained to do it. Anyways it isn't an issue anymore. I went off the antibiotic a few days ago and each day it is fainter and fainter. Today it is barely noticable. So I am guessing the antibiotic azithromycin caused it and getting off it made the ringing subside. It says online that ringing in the ears is a rare side effect of this antibiotic. My only issue now is tenderness in the ear and maybe some hearing loss. Will see my MD soon and have her check them out. I might still have some fluid behind the eardrums from the sinus infection or ear infection. They are all connected. Thanks again and post away!! Blessings to you, Brenda

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service