Male - Life After Rai - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Male - Life After Rai

RAI Thyroid Replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 McEwan47

McEwan47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:38 AM

Advertisement

Hey to all!

Hope it is a day of good health and happiness where you are :) I was diagnosed with Graves Disease at age 16 back in 2006 and eventually treated with RAI twice, once in 2009 and 2010. I felt most well during the year after my diagnosis, using carbimazole and levothyroxine to establish normal levels. However, I relapsed, was young and perhaps was not assertive enough in securing the treatment I desired.

After RAI depression and anxiety have come into my life relatively strongly. I had hoped that when i reached my optimal dose of Levothyroxine that these symptoms would lessen and for periods they did but never consistently. After reaching 200mcg of levothyroxine (my optimal dose) I spent three years where I achieved much but still had debilitating symptoms...mostly mood wise but also with fatigue still casting a problem. Then I stumbled across the plethora of info on the net about natural dessicated thyroid, t3 etc.

Thus ensued a long period of unemployment trialling all sorts of hormone replacement, some of which appeared to help for short periods (such as NDT) but none of which offered the consistency of levothyroxine. At present, I am trialling mostly levothyroxine with a little NDT which is quite useful but I am yet to find stability. The reality is that I am reaching the end of the line and will have to accept either the current state of affairs with Levo + NDT or return to 200mcg of Levo.

My quality of life is not great and I'm not looking for any miracles, but I'd just like to hear from any people (particularly men as I feel women have a different hormonal make up etc) post RAI who have found a decent quality of life? 

I can't go back and rebuild my thyroid, so i need to either find a hormone replacement solution or life skill solutions that can hopefully pull me back into employment and permit me a full life? This could be anything soulful from reiki to the pharmaceutical approach with oodles of anti-depressants and stimulants for energy! :) Just let me know any useful experiences.

Much love to all x

Advertisement

#2 McEwan47

McEwan47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

Oh it might help by saying that my TSH is 3.2 at present on 162.5mcg of Levo and a quarter grain of Naturethroid. It has been as low as 1.2 on 200mcg of Levo. In the UK t3 and t4 are rarely sent for unless you are treated privately.

#3 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:58 PM

Hi and welcome:

We do get a number a people from UK who do get their Free T3 and the Free T4 tested.  We do better with our TSH under 1.5.  I would suggest you insist on asking for the Free Ts to be tested to see where you are at.  Low Free Ts = high TSH.  The Levo you take is a T4 replacement med so you would want that to be in the upper third ranges.  Also see if your Free T3 is low and if it is, you might be needing aT3 med such as Cytomel to get that to come up.

Our thyroid expert Elaine Moore is 27+ years post-RAI with a website that has her own forum and articles to help you.  

elaine-moore.com

I hate to see you continue to suffer with too low levels of the Free Ts.

{{{hugs}}}

#4 McEwan47

McEwan47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hey, thanks for the info! Yeah I have messaged Elaine once before. She is a big advocate for t4 and NDT in different quantities so I'm learning at her feet and boy is she knowledgeable :)

On T4 only (200mcg) my free t3 was 3.9 which was a little on the low side and could be responsible for some of the mood symptoms. If things don't work out with my current medicinal set up...I'll make sure that I try to get below 1.5 on the TSH on T4 only. That fills with some back up hope.

Cheers mmztcass. I may give Elaine's forum another message if necessary. A welcome hug right back x

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RAI, Thyroid Replacement

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service