Decreasing Tsh, Decreasing Tpo, Suggestions? - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Decreasing Tsh, Decreasing Tpo, Suggestions?

nutrition supplements low TSH normal thyroid hormones

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scinca

scinca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:53 PM

Advertisement

Hello!

I'm new here. Thank you for sharing your insights, such a relief and greatly appreciate the generosity of your experiences. I am seeking advice - can I treat my subclinical hyperthyroid without medication? What are your thoughts about decreasing TSH with decreasing TPO, what does that mean? I don't really understand what my latest blood test reveals. Is my thyroid the main issue or should I be suspecting something else?

Also, if my labs indicate meds, what would they be? Are my thyroid levels even indicative of hyperthyroid? My main symptoms are the goiter, intermittent tachycardia, shortness of breath with exercise, inability to put on weight, extreme sudden fatigue that feels like my body shutting down (can't keep eyes open, feel like I stop taking in air and as if I don't need it). I don't think I could take beta blockers as my blood pressure is on the low side already. I have been diagnosed with GERD, but not sure I can keep the diet as I fear I'll lose weight. I'm gluten free and that has helped with stomach cramps but I am thinner now.Any help out there?

Here is my history, followed by test results with ranges.

In 2009 I was too tired for about a year and had a goiter. I was diagnosed by an alternative doctor with Hashimoto's. After expensive IV vitamin and homeopathic therapies for 18 months, my TPO's were not decreasing and he suggested going on thyroid medication. I left because I was not ready to go on that roller coaster, changed my diet instead: eating more meats, fats, and a cup of coffee every morning. It seemed to work and monitoring my TPO levels myself, they decreased and my thyroid levels remained in range. I was ready to get back to exercise this year.

However, due to shortness of breath when trying to do any cario, excessive sweating when dancing, and the sense that the goiter was starting to push against my trachea, I saw an endo recently. After my first visit, she ordered an ultrasound and bloodtest and said we would biopsy the nodule on the follow up. But because my TSH was <.01, she ordered a radioactive iodine scan on my 'hot' nodule (3mm). After researching it, I asked that we do the biopsy as I prefer not to be exposed to radioactive testing on my thyroid if I didn't need to. I would like to reserve radioactive exposure for when I see a recommended GI instead of for the radioactive thyroid scan. In the meantime I am seeking an endo who will just do a biopsy.

11/2009:

TSH 1.2, range .34 - 5.6

Total T4 6.2, range 4.5 - 12.5

Free T4 1.2, range .8 - 1.9

Free T3 3.8, range 1.8 - 4.2

TgAb 54.3 high, range <40

TPO 663 high, range <35

1/2011

TSH 1.32, range .34 - 5.6

Total T4 5.6, range 4.5 - 12.5

Free T4 1.1, range .8 - 1.9

Free T3 3.1, range 2.3 -4.2

TgAb <20, range <40

TPO 667 high, range <35

Vitamin D 22.5 low, range 30-100

10/13

TSH .795, range .45 - 4.5

Thyroxine (T4) 6.9, range 4.5 - 12.0

T4, Free (direct) 1.27, range .82 - 1.77

Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum 3.2, range 2.0 - 4.4

TgAb <1.0, range <.9

TPO 129 high, range <34

10/15

TSH <.01 low, range .5 - 4.8

Thyroxine (T4) serum 8.4, range 4.2 - 13

Resin T3 uptake, serum 31.5, range 22.5 - 37.0

TgAb <1.0, range <.9

TPO 67 high, range <34

Vit D 32.1, range 30-100

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

Hi scinca and welcome:

I am sorry I have to rush out the door for an event.  Can you also check the TSI and TRAb antibodies for Graves' Disease to make sure?

Also if you can get the labs done of the Free T3 and the Free T4 to get a better picture.  I do see both the FT3 and the FT4 from the 10/13 test.  

I am not sure what kind of a pattern you are having from these labs.  I would suggest you look through the Thyroid 101 here on any dietary and environmental triggers to avoid setting off your symptoms and avoid them if possible.  Red meats can be a trigger as well as coffee that has been harvested with chemicals and toxins.  Organic and non-GMO diets are ways to avoid all the chems/toxs which hurts our bodies.  In my case I simply replaced with organic and no-GMO to avoid triggers.  Also include any household and personal products used.  

I would also get in touch with Elaine Moore at:  elaine-moore.com and read through her websites of articles and such to help you understand what needs to be done.

More later.  

{{{hugs}}}

#3 scinca

scinca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:37 PM

Linda,

Thanks so much for that. I have to get new labs, then, as the endo did not order Free T3, TI, or TrAb.

The 2013 numbers were from tests I ordered myself from directlabs.com. I see there is a Moore thyroid panel. There are no specs on that test. Is that Elaine's test? I'll look more deeply at her website and follow up here.

As for nutrition, I have tried many different types of food protocols and I think it varies by person and by state of your health. I have been organic for about 20yrs now. I was vegan for a few years and I do not think that diet is appropriate for me. I had muscle wasting, so I slowly began bringing animal protein back into my diet. After unsuccessful treatment by the holistic doctor, I came back to red meat because I found I felt better on it (as opposed to poultry or fish). I know when my body needs more meat because I start to get canker sores and I feel deep fatigue. I also know when I no longer need it because I simply cease to have an appetite for it. I am looking into getting amino acid supplementation but still researching validity of urine analysis on that.

I also started taking coffee because I preferred drinking a cup a day instead of taking hormones to improve my energy levels. And that choice was confirmed by Dr. Kharrazzian's writings (TH1 dominant) being helped by caffeine. Because my antibody numbers continue to improve, and I have recently been diagnosed with GERD, I am now reducing coffee intake, but will continue it until my antibody numbers come into normal range.

Thanks for your attention, will be back with my lab results when I get them!

Sue

#4 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:27 PM

Hi scinca:

I do not know anything about the Moore Thyroid panel from the directlabs.com?  I can't help with that.  If you are self ordering labs, getting the Free T3, Free T4, and TSH would be the important ones to go by in addition to thyroid antibodies tests every now and then.

I can't do a vegan diet either, makes me ill.  I consume the meats that have been pastured and grass fed in order to do well.  I definitely know what you are going through and what you mean.

I drink organic coffee as opposed to the ones grown in the chemical soils.

{{{hugs}}}

#5 scinca

scinca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

Hi there,

So it appears I do have Graves, but also Hashi's, which might explain why I have low TSH but normal T3, T4? I have posted to Elaine's site but no response yet. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to work with both Graves and Hashi's...? According to Elaine, Graves is self-limiting, so does that mean I let it run it's course and deal with Hashi's when my thyroid is depleted? My main concern is inability to exercise due to shortness of breath and inability to gain weight. I'm worried about long-term muscle wasting as well. And in 2009 I was diagnosed as anemic. Now it appers that my iron levels are too high, or does that just mean my body is not using the iron? Any thoughts? I'm a bit confused on how to proceed. -Sue

11/2015

TSI 392 high, range 0-139

T4 1.53, range .82-1.77

T3 3.7, range 2.0-4.4

TIBC 305, range 250-450

UBIC 124 low, range 150-375

Iron Saturation 59 high, range 15-55

Iron serum 181 high, range 35-155

Ferritin 70, range 15-150

Vit D 49.8, range 30-100

#6 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

Hi:

Are you currently taking any Iron supplements?  Need to discuss with doctor about this.  Elaine does talk about malabsorption with supplements.  

Last year I was sick along with dehydration and with lower Free T3 and the Free T4.  I also had high levels of Iron which I had to stop taking the daily capsule of 18 mg and I still cycle every month.  I didn't take Iron for awhile and now my Iron is low again that I needed to restart it up.  This was back in August.  So I had lab retested again in October and find my Iron still low.  I am now taking it in between meals and making sure I have my vitamin C with it to absorb it better.  Next lab retest is in January to see where I am at.  I don't have Hemochromatosis.  

{{{hugs}}}

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nutrition, supplements, low TSH, normal thyroid hormones

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service