After Graves, Do You Ever Go Back To Normal? - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

After Graves, Do You Ever Go Back To Normal?

graves disease rai hypothyroidism

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dviantM_

dviantM_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

Advertisement

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Greetings everyone, [/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]I am new to this forum, and I am surprised that it took me this long to reach out to the Graves community. I just want to know, does one ever go back to normal ?[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]I was diagnosed with Graves Disease when I was 22, and it was recommended by my doctor that I get RAI treatment. So, i did. Now at 30 after countless trips, doctors and medications changes, my new PCP says she has my thyroid level under control or "normal". But, my hands still shake a little, I don't notice it all the time but they do, and on occasion Ill have some mild headaches, sore muscles, leg cramps, and have some anxiety that i had not experienced before. Do these symptoms just never go away? Is this what normal life now has become? I don't experience these symptoms everyday, sometimes they come sometimes they go. I'm starting to think there are possible triggers that sets my graves off even when my doctor says its under control. Thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. [/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]M.[/font]

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Hi dviantM and welcome:

I am sorry you are having issues.  RAI can cause problems of its own with the TSI thyroid antibodies staying up high.  If one doesn't know how to lab correctly with getting the thyroid labs of the Free T3 and the Free T4 done and often times doctors do not prescribe enough replacement meds to keep the Free Ts in the 'right' places of the normal lab reference ranges to feel best there at.

So I am guessing your Free T3 and the Free T4 labs are not where you would feel best there at with these.  

If you can share some of the last recent lab results along with what med is taken and how much, we can better help you.

You can look over the Thyroid 101 here if you haven't yet and check any thyroid triggers, dietary and environment that can set off symptoms.  

Here at this board we have to be our own patient advocate, which means figuring out how to read our own labs and how to heal ourselves from any symptoms.  Doctors often don't know how to do this which is why many people go to thyroid forums to get the help needed to get on track of staying as balanced as possible with having a thyroid disorder that lasts a lifetime.

{{{hugs}}}

#3 dviantM_

dviantM_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

Thanks so much for the help. I currently take Levothyroxine Tab 125MCG. 

I will also make sure to look over the Thyroid 101 for triggers. 

Component Results

Component Your Value Standard Range Flag [color=#ffffff;]TSH[/color] [color=#ffffff;]1.44 m[IU]/L[/color] [color=#ffffff;]0.36 - 3.74 m[IU]/L[/color]

[color=#ffffff;]THYROXINE FREE[/color] [color=#ffffff;]1.32 ng/dL[/color] [color=#ffffff;]0.76 - 1.46 ng/dL[/color]

#4 dviantM_

dviantM_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

T4-Thyroxine free 1.32ng/dL   

T3-TSH 1.44 M[IU]/L

#5 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

Hi:

So sorry as I thought I mentioned in my last post.  :rolleyes:  We need to have the lab reference ranges to go with the lab results.  These are found on the right side of the results.  The lab reference ranges are going to be different from where one lives, different lab companies used, the patient's age, etc. 

{{{hugs}}}

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graves disease, rai, hypothyroidism

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service