Iodine Cured Me & Now Pregnant - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Iodine Cured Me & Now Pregnant

Iodine Pregnant Pregnancy Third trimester Graves Carbimazole Goiter Swollen thyroid Iodide Antibodies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 057

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:05 AM

Advertisement

So I was dignosed Graves in 2016. I was only hypER for about two months in total but took Carbimazole for about 14 months & then sat on the lower end of the scale (but still within the acceptable range so no doctor cared) feeling tired and depressed until I saw a Naturopath who (contraversial but,) tested my iodine which was next to nothing. Within 4 days of taking an OTC iodine supplement (around 150mcg), I was up off the couch and walking 5km a day - miraculous given how exhausted I had been for a year plus. Life was excellent again.

Anyhoo, then I got pregnant. My iodine upped to about 370mcg per day. I've made it to 32 weeks, third trimester. All my labs have come back within range (I'm tested monthly) & I've been feeling pretty good.
All my ultrasounds are coming back good, the baby is measuring one week ahead.

The last week I've noticed my thyroid is a bit swollen in the front of my neck.
I've been feeling tired but just assumed it was third trimester tiredness.

I have an Endo appointment but not for two weeks. I have blood tests coming up this week.

I had a look around & goiter is caused by iodine deficiency but also could be antibodies attacking the thyroid and causing it to enlarge?
If someone could point me in the right direction?
I'm trying to decipher if the iodine that was originally helping me has now turned on me, or whether I should potentially be taking MORE now that I'm pregnant? As mentioned, I'm on about 370mcg per day.
So far during the pregnancy every thyroid test has come back fine, if not a little closer to the lower end of the scale.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: I should mention it's Potassium Iodide in the supplement.

Within a couple of months of having the supplement -
My TRAB went down to zero (<0.9)
My ThyroglobulinAb went down to 13 (<4)
But my antibodies to TPO won't seem to go any lower than 98 (<35)

Antibodies remained the same during the start of the pregnancy and I'll have them tested again this week.

1.March.18 - Last time I was tested
TSH 2.0 (0.4-4.8)
FT3 4.1 (3.2-5.5)
FT4 11.0 (9.5-17.0)

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:45 PM

Hi:

Congrats on the pregnancy.  

Since you are getting labs shortly, let's see what those say to compare with the March labs.  The Free T4 is very low and it would be a good idea to get the level higher range to the upper third lab reference range for the pregnancy.    

I have no idea what to tell you about the Potassium Iodide as I don't have much experience with it though I did take for awhile via my naturopathic doctor back between 2001-2003.  I took it for the Graves' Disease though.  For you probably need more...

{{{hugs}}}  

#3 057

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:45 PM

Thanks heaps for your reply!
I got my results today and am really confused because all of the numbers are dropping along with the TSH, this makes no sense to me. I've put the most recent test at the top and included the last few for reference too.

TSH 0.96 (0.3-3.9)
FT3 4.0 (2.9-5.3)
FT4 10.8 (8.9-17.7)
TRAB <0.9 (<1.8)

And past results, from newest to oldest, which have been gradually dropping throughout the pregnancy:

TSH 2.0 (0.3-3.9)
FT3 4.1 (2.9-5.3)
FT4 11 (8.9-17.7)

TSH 1.3 (0.3-3.9)
FT3 4.0 (2.9-5.3)
FT4 11.3 (8.9-17.7)

TSH 1.1 (0.3-3.9)
FT3 4.4 (2.9-5.3)
FT4 12.6 (8.9-17.7)

TSH 1.1 (0.3-3.9)
FT3 5.1 (2.9-5.3)
FT4 14.4 (8.9-17.7)

TSH 2.0 (0.3-3.9)
FT3 5.2 (2.9-5.3)
FT4 16.8 (8.9-17.7)

Why would the FT3 & FT4 continue to drop whilst the TSH has taken such a big drop?
Would any of this have anything to do with my thyroid feeling a little swollen or just the pregnancy in some way?
Should I be asking for other antibody tests again?
Thanks again for your time!

#4 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:12 AM

Hello 057 :)

Congratulations! Not long to go now :D

Are you still taking carbimazole? (or PTU?)

It might be a good idea to get your iodine levels checked again before increasing the dose, it's possible that 370mcg might be a little bit too much, especially if you are also taking a multivitamin and/or eating bread and other baked products or using iodised salt, or if you live in QLD or WA

"Recommended daily intake of iodine

The recommended daily intake (RDI) for iodine depends on your age and life stage. The amount we need is very small (around one teaspoonful over a lifetime for most adults) when compared to other nutrients.

It is measured in micrograms (mcg, or µg), and requirements for various age groups are:
younger children (1 to 8 years) 90 mcg
older children (9 to 13 years, boys and girls) 120 mcg
adolescents (14 to 18 years) 150 mcg
men 150 mcg
women 150 mcg
during pregnancy and breastfeeding 220 mcg and 270 mcg respectively. "

https://www.betterhe...hyliving/iodine

The whole area of iodine is rather confusing especially in relation to autoimmune thyroid conditions. A lot of the information available online relates to conditions in the US where dietary iodine seems to be quite high. Conditions in Australia are a little different, many areas are reportedly iodine deficient (Queensland and Western Australia are apparently iodine replete). Our dairy farmers rarely use iodine to clean cow's udders so our dairy has less iodine than some other countries. Food manufacturers here usually don't use iodised salt and we have many areas where the soil doesn't contain much iodine - meaning that crops and animals raised on those soils will not contain much iodine either.

Most of our bread has been iodised since 2009 in an effort to combat this iodine deficiency (not organic bread though). The pdf download linked below, covers a lot of these issues. It's the official report/recommendation that was released prior to the mandatotry iodine fortification of Australian bread. It' a rather long but interesting read

MANDATORY IODINE FORTIFICATION FOR AUSTRALIA
EXPLANATORY STATEMENT

(pdf download)

https://www.google.c...mcefWhoMYdz9bHL

Having said all that, i know precious little about the use of iodine as a treatment for Grave's disease, but i do find it intriguing :)

It irks me a bit that if i want my iodine level checked i have to pay for it (even as a Grave's patient). I wonder if there is some special wording a doctor needs to use on a request form in order to get Medicare to cover the test? Did you have to pay for your test?

Cheers
Allies
:D

#5 057

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for all that info, I am going to need a chemistry/medicine degree to understand all of this & then I still probably wont get it.

The iodine was ordered by my naturopath through a pathology called 'NutriPATH' and I think it was around $70? I can't quite remember the cost. From what I understand in speaking with regular GPs & endocrinologists since having the test, none of them believe in the legitimacy of the test & they don't want to hear about it. They say there's no accurate way to measure iodine deficiency, even though there was a substantial difference in my thyroid tests after having started taking the iodine supplement. Plus a massive change in my quality of life.

I haven't eaten bread or baked goods for about ten years as I've been gluten free. Sometimes I wonder if this is how I ended up iodine deficient which triggered my Graves disease.
I'm in Tas & I'm pretty sure every man and his dog here is hypOthyroid & iodine deficient.
I've only started paying attention to my salt in the last few years, I just use the pink Himalayan stuff.

I'm not on Carbimazole or anything anymore, I haven't been for over a year. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not technically hyPO these days with Hashimotos because my thyroid numbers are always on the low end of the scale, I was only ever hyPER for a few months.

Iodine for thyroid issues can be so contraversial. Some say it's the bees knees, some say it's throwing fuel on a fire. There are some people that recommend mg per day, not mcg, mg!
I guess I will have to get it tested again, I've been lazy I suppose because it's a 5 hour round trip to see this particular doctor & will cost me a fortune.

In regards to my last thyroid tests though, I had a bit of a look around and from what I understand, the reason your FT3 & FT4 would drop along with your TSH is when you've got secondary hypothyroidism which is a damaged/non functioning thyroid.
Any thoughts on this? And can iodine destroy your thyroid?

#6 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:50 PM

Hi:

Why not pull up some higher in Iodine food lists/charts on the Iternet and see what more you can add safely to your diet while pregnant.  Elaine Moore says we need at least 150 mcg of Iodine daily.  I'd rather get these in the organic/non-GMO foods if possible for myself.

{{{hugs}}}

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iodine, Pregnant, Pregnancy, Third trimester, Graves, Carbimazole, Goiter, Swollen thyroid, Iodide, Antibodies

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service