I just got it and sent you and email.

#3 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

Got your email and replied.Have asked Chris and Jody to post pictures in this thread of the afghans I sent them.
Will try to get pictures of others as well.
Perhaps Monica and Doris could post pictures of theirs as well.

#4 Monica

Monica

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

I'll try to post a couple of pics. This blanket is REALLY nice. It is a basketweave type pattern and it is very thick and really warm. I have to fight both the dogs and the cats for it. Everyone loves it.

Tammy taught me to crochet over the phone and by email. My grandmother taught me when I was little but she was a leftie and I'm not so it was awkward. All I remembered till Tammy started working with me was how to hold the needle and do a couple of very simple stitches. Now I've made an angel afghan (don't have the pictures :( ) and a baby blanket that was a granny square pattern plus 2 shawls. Its fun but I'm so slow I tend to start something and never finish it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The pictures didn't turn out really well. They are a little fuzzy and the blanket is actually more cream than yellow. I don't think the flash was on but you get the idea.

A funny story...Tammy made an afghan for me to give my parents for Christmas. When I fessed up and told them I didn't make it my Mom said "Well yeah, you couldn't have made one this pretty." LOL! It really was beautiful but I could have done without the comment.

#5 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

Monica's afghan is one of the fisherman style afghans.I will be making that one again.I want to do all 6 and put them away for gifts.I really love them.They're perty :).
Gee Mon it looks like it's still in great shape.When did I send that to you 2002?
I hope Doris spots this thread and posts a picture of hers.Jody and Chris both said they would.

I'm going to make another one of those angel afghans for a neighbor.When I do I'll post a picture of it.
Those are popular! LOL.Everyone that has seen it,wants one.

The one I'm currently working on is already gone.I decided to give it to my neighbor Liz for her birthday at the end of Feb.
Which means I'll need to make another.I have this weird need to have all 6 done and in my possession.
Maybe I'll even keep one!

#6 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

Monica I did come across what I think is that pattern (parents).It's a long one.Do you still want it?I can type it out if you want and send it to you.

You shouldn't have told them you didn't make it.They'd never have known!
Honesty is always a good thing,but sometimes things can simply be left unsaid :).

#7 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:10 PM

Hope this works. I sure love this afghan - thanks again Tammy!!

http://i909.photobuc...ysafghan003.jpg

http://i909.photobuc...ysafghan008.jpg

http://i909.photobuc...ysafghan012.jpg

On this last one with the kitty, the color looks a bit off like there's a pinkish hue to parts of it. That's just the lighting. It's a solid cream color.

#8 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

Monica - How were you able to just post the pic without using a link to photobucket? I tried, but couldn't get the "paste" option in this window. I'd rather just have the pics and not the links.

Thanks, Chris

Never mind, your pics show as links when I'm not logged in.

#9 AngelTrujillo

AngelTrujillo

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:23 AM

Those are very lovely afgans ladies!!!
I wish I was that talented!! My grandmother use to make afgans and all sorts of things.
I wish I was able to have the chance to learn these things from her.

Keep up the great work!!

Angel

#10 Monica

Monica

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:23 AM

Chris, I'm logged in and your pictures show as links still.

In the reply window there are several buttons above this box where the smiley face is. The third one from the left will let you insert an image. Click on it and paste your link to photobucket in it and then hit insert image.

Tammy I agree, if I could have omitted the info I would have but they were oooing and aaahing over it saying I did such a beautiful job and asking how in the world did I do it. My conscious wouldn't let me not fess up. I regretted it instantly because the gift meant so much more to them when they thought I made it. I decided to make Mom one for Mother's day but instead of getting the pattern for that one, I'm going to do a granny square one. That is easier for me to handle with the dogs here. LOL. Thanks!

#11 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for your help, Monica - Here goes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 SusieQ

SusieQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:31 AM

Hi Everyone,

Ohmigosh Tammy, I am stunned...I mean stunned in capitals at the afghans you made. Chris and Monica, you are so lucky Tami made these for you. They are so pretty. Thank you so much for putting up the photos. It is such a treat to see Tami's creations.

Uh, Tami, I feel so unable to even begin such intricacy. Now that I see your afghans, I can tell what you mean by 'count is important'. Yes indeed girl, count is going to be very important. Unfortunately for me, my little gnat's attention span is way too small for that kind of mastery. I know I could not keep the count going for one row. My mind wanders and wanders and to keep even simple count is hard for me (haven't been successful yet). I feel like that little boy in those old cartoons where he is in class and his mind wanders to all places of time and history, never to stay still in his present day classroom. lol How do you keep your concentration so keen? It doesn't look like you have missed a stitch anywhere.

I think I will have to happy with learning the double and triple stitch and then keep on 'eyeballing' the hats or blankies I make. As long as I don't have keep count I think I can learn the other stitches. But to keep such close count like your afghans...maybe I have ADD. I know I couldn't do that.

:wub:
Susie

#13 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

Welcome to "Living with Worsted" .......

Susie - That's the beauty of crochet - you miss a stitch or lose count and you can just pull the stitches out back to the mistake and go from there. With knitting, you drop a stitch and you have to start over.

Here's a great instruction article (and there are plenty out there) for simple double crochet. Scroll to the bottom to see the finished product.

http://www.anniesatt...l?content_id=55

This is what I've done for years--just simple double crochet. You can watch TV and still get those stitches right! I could never even come close to the intricate stitches that Tammy has mastered. About a year ago I decided to try something new and started a "shell stitch" baby afghan for my new granddaughter as a blanket to bring her home from the hospital. Well, she's 10 months old now and it's nowhere near done. It was easy counting the stitches, but I just hardly found time to work on it.

So don't be discouraged about counting stitches. Just do the double crochet and gather your confidence, then venture into something just slightly more complicated like the shell. It's rewarding no matter what.

Here is the unfinished afghan - but this "shell" stitch really isn't that hard to do. I'll look up the pattern I was using when I get a chance and add it in here. Got a doc appt and need to get going:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

Susie,
I didn't learn overnight.LOL Not by any means! I've been doing this for...dare I say it...nearly 40 years.
I started out making scarves and hats and didn't keep count.It was enough for me to just learn the stitches.
It takes time.Once you've mastered the stitches...you'll be able to keep count.Trust me.Been there done that :).
Are you left or right handed? We could meet up in the chat room and I can try to help you with the other stitches.
Or we can exchange phone numbers if that would be easier for you.I have free long distance so that wouldn't be a problem for me.
Either way I'd be happy to help you.

#15 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

Chris love the colors and the pattern.I've done a few different shell patterns and they really are pretty.
LOL You're soooo right about missing a stitch,most patterns you can miss a stitch and just forget it or "fix" it on the next row.
I've done it many times.LOL.
Laughed so hard at " Living with worsted..... damn near choked!

#16 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

Thanks Rowdy! With all this talk about crocheting, I'm getting inspired to get back in there and finish that afghan before Kira starts school.

Doc appt went great.

ALL RIGHT!! The lounge.......... I'll have a Baileys and coffee. Ummm, make that a double!

#17 Monica

Monica

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hey Susie! Don't get stressed about the difficult stitches. I am really a beginner myself and Tammy has done a wonderful job working with me and explaining to me the different stitches. I don't know a lot of stitches, just the basic ones: sc, dc, tc, hdc, slip stitch and chain on and make a loop and I've done some pretty things.

I get intimidated when working on a large one piece afghan. Plus it is hard for me to have a large piece out in my lap with the dogs here and I can't keep dog hair out of it so I found that I liked working with Granny squares. They are so easy. Once you do one side, the next three turns are exactly the same and the counting is minimal. Then the next row is usually very similar to the last row. If I mess up and skip a stitch, I add it in on the next row. The only thing I need to make sure of is that the outside row has the correct number of stitches so when I sew all of the pieces together, they will match up. I made a baby blanket for my nephew and a beautiful angel and clouds pattern for my boyfriend. Below is a sample that I am considering for my Mom's future Mother's Day blanket.

Posted Image

Looking at Chris's shell pattern (that was really pretty Chris, a great color combination!), it reminded me that the ripple patterns are VERY easy to do. It is all DC and you skip a stitch at the bottom of the ripple and put 2 stitches in one hole at the top of the ripple. You don't really have to count after the first row or two because it becomes obvious when to skip and when to add. Here is a shawl that I made that turned out really well. I also used a big Q hook and two strands of thread and made an afghan for my boyfriend but it was my first afghan and it had several color changes. It turned out beautiful but I didn't secure the ends well enough and he's had to retire it.

Posted Image

#18 SusieQ

SusieQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

Darn it. I just lost my post. Ugh. I hate that! Now I'm all typed out. &%$#

Quickly then Chris, your grandbaby's blankie is so pretty. The colors....so rich and attractive! The stitch that you used is very nice too. Wow. I checked out the link you posted and I do think I will able to follow the directions on that. You are so sweet to find that and post it. I want you to hurry up and finish her blanket so it can be one of her favorite things. :^) Living with Worsted...Haaa haaa choke heee hee.

Monica, you are brilliant for coming up with the granny square idea for the afghans. I hear you about the dogs. Our cat is always trying to make biscuits on a blanket when I am making it. All the cat fur that gets on it...But your granny square does look really nice. I suppose you have to sew them together with yarn then? Not thread. I just looked at the shawl you made again and it a really nice pattern--with little counting? Seeing everyone's patterns and how it's not that hard is still hard to believe, but I trust you guys.

Hi Tami, sorry it took me so long to get back on the thread. Things have been crazy around here recently. !! I wasn't ignoring everyone, it only seemed that way. I am a righty btw. We will have to hook up a good time for you and me soon and then maybe you will be able to give me a turn in the right direction. I am relieved to hear that eventually the counting isn't such an issue. I was thinking that maybe it is so hard for me because I am still trying to concentrate on things. Maybe it's like driving a stick shift?...eventually you don't think about it and you don't even remember shifting into 5th gear. It just happens. I hope it's like that because I would like to move on to bigger and better stitches. Maybe even make something close to the stuff you guys have shared here.

What do you think about all of us having the crochet bug? Do you think we have busy hands and it's a G-world thing or are there gobs of closet crocheters out there that I don't know about? I think this is so great. I can't wait to move out of the single stitch. lol I mean, I like my single stitch, really I do, but it is getting a little boring now.

How I have made the one afghan I did was that I crocheted a rectangle first. Then I tied that off when it got to be about 6in by 12in. Then I started a new row I guess you would call it just by going around the rectangle, around and around for a few months worth of crocheting (thought I would never finish quite frankly) until it got really big and MrQ was happy with the size since it's his afghan. I think it was about 16 skeins of yarn. I didn't have count once and it sort of took on it's own life without me having to fret over the stitch count or dropping a stitch at the end of a row since I didn't have rows. It was like a braided rug the way I made it, but rectangle.

Okay, I am getting excited! Ohhh yeah.

I so loved seeing everyone's work. You really do have a talent for it.

:^) Susie

#19 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

Susie things are crazy here too.When you're ready we will set up a chat time.
As far as getting bored :)...yep that happens,and when it does it means you're ready to move on to the next stitch! :)
I get bored very easily.I can not do anything that doesn't have different stitches or anything that doesn't have a challenge.
I just can't do it.I'll start it and put it down never to pick it up again.
LOL I'll bet we have a lot of closet "hookers".
Happy hooking all!!! :)

#20 SusieQ

SusieQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

Cool Tammy. I'll drop you a line when things have calmed down somewhat. Hopefully it will coincide with things getting less nuts at your place too.

:) Susie

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service