#1 Monica

Monica

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

Advertisement

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100126/hl_time/08599195660800;_ylt=AtQV7Ty2EBtullf6o25lBLxH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTM1cnJtYWZsBGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMDAxMjYvMDg1OTkxOTU2NjA4MDAEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM3BHBvcwM3BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDZGlkd2hvZXhhZ2dl

I found this article interesting. I've heard virtually nothing in the news lately about the H1N1 virus and wondered if it was much milder than expected or if the vaccines were widely taken and effective. Its astronomical how much many governments wasted on the vaccine when so little was taken, especially in this economic climate when so many people are being laid off from work. I imagine it is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't for both government officials and WHO. I suspect WHO would rather err on the side of caution and overestimate the danger rather than failing to react to something more deadly. These two statistics listed were quite telling:

France, which had ordered enough of the vaccine to inoculate its entire population of 60 million, has so far used only 5 million doses and now wants to cancel 50 million doses and sell millions more.

The U.K.'s plan, for example, which was automatically enacted when the WHO declared the H1N1 pandemic, predicted between 50,000 and 750,000 deaths from a flu pandemic. So far, there have been 400 British deaths from H1N1.

I am sure that WHO and government officials fear that when the big one really does come, people will ignore the warnings in the future. I'd hate to be the ones making these types of decisions.

For what its worth and for all my talking about my personal decision against vaccines, I ended up with the flu and due to its mildness, I believe it was H1N1. It wasn't really a big deal for me, far less severe than the other 2 times I've had the flu. But then again I am otherwise healthy. For *me* I am glad I didn't get the vaccine even though I ended up with the flu.

Advertisement

#2 AngelTrujillo

AngelTrujillo

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

Monica,
I am thinking that this strain of virus has been around before. May be a few years ago who knows.
I do know that there are a lot of people that do not want to get the shot or for what ever reason do not believe in immunizations.
I would prefer to get it naturaly rather than from a shot. I get the flue every time I get the shot, so no more of those for me LOL.
I also thnk that a lot of the people that have died from it might have had a poor immune system for what ever reason and unable to fight it off.
I have also heard thast the health communtiy is calling all flus this year the N1H1,so there is an issues with that as well.
I think it was all hyped up so people would buy more immunizations and spend money that most do not have, on going to the doctor to get tamaflu whitch they probebly didn't need in the first place.
In my opinion, it is all about money.

How are you feeling?

hugs
Angel

#3 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:17 PM

I had it too.At 2:00 am Christmas eve morning I ended up in the ER.I couldn't breath well at all.They put me on oxygen and did 2 breathing treatments.Then shoved 60mgs of pred down my throat.It helped a little,but only a little.
In the end they gave me the option of being admitted or going home.I went home even though the doc really didn't want me too.Well he shouldn't have given me the option!
But alas here I am alive and kicking.Yes I was very sick,but I am a smoker and that certainly didn't help.I also have asthma.
Reguardless I did survive.

Angel most doctors are just treating people as though what they have is in fact swine flu.Doesn't mean that it really is.
I took a 10 day course of pred,but did not take the Tamiflu that was ordered.

#4 AngelTrujillo

AngelTrujillo

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:19 AM

Rowdy,
I am wondering if you had the same thing my hubby and I had.
We where told it was accute brochitis, we had high fever, hard to breath, stuffed up head, sore throat, tierd easily. Achy all over, coughing. IT seems like we had the flu, but it wasn't, Hubby had to have an Xray and all and that is how they figured out what it was. Otherwise we had the flu and they sent us home.
I to have asthma and it really got me hard too. Hubby ha to take a week off from work to get well enough to go to work again. It was awful!

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service