Nursing Student - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Nursing Student

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nursing student CR

Nursing student CR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:25 PM

Advertisement

Hello,

my name is Brett I am a nursing student at college of the Redwoods in northern California.

I am posting today as part of an assignment that was created by my instructor to help us gain knowledge on what it is like living with Graves Disease.

Is there any one that would be willing to share there story with me?

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

Hello Brett:

Thank you for asking us to share our stories of our Graves' Disease.  I will ask the people on the forum to correspond with you privately by PM.

Anyone wishing to correspond with Brett of your stories, please use the PM to get in touch.  

Thanks and {{{hugs}}}

#3 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:16 PM

Hi Brett :)

What a great assignment topic. I'm glad that there's an understanding in some areas of the medical field that Grave's is something we tend to have to live with rather than something that is treated and goes away.

What sort of things would you like to know?
Physical symptoms?
Psychological impacts?
Social impacts?
Treatment choices we have made?
Doctor and endocrinologist experiences? (That might open a can of worms! :) )
How different people might attempt to deal with the underlying autoimmunity?
How the Grave's can change presentation over time? (I.E. it can have hypothyroid phases or even result in permanent hypothyroidism)

There may be other things you would like us to comment on, let us know :) I'm happy to respond :D
Cheers
Allies

#4 Nursing student CR

Nursing student CR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:40 PM

Hello,

Thank you mmztcass and Allies for being willing to help me with this assignment. I apologize for the delay in responding to you, they tend to keep us nursing students as busy as possible. I also have two elementary school age children that I am now homeschooling in this new, shelter in place/pandemic, situation that we have found ourselves in and it has proven to be quite challenging. My kids are great but there is only so much time we can spend all cooped up together before we start climbing the walls lol. Luckily, we can escape to take nature outings and and drives when it becomes mundane and to get exercise.

My nursing cohort and I are studying Endocrine disorders currently (as you probably gathered) and I picked graves disease as my focus. I have researched it a little but I am curious what it is like living with this disease for you on a daily basis? I've read that people with this disease can experience fine tremors, weight loss and fatigue etc. Have you experienced any of these signs or symptoms or others you wouldn't  mind sharing? Also, If you have experienced signs and symptoms like ones I listed, what has worked most effectively to reduce said symptoms Best? When were you diagnosed with Graves?

You came up with a lot of great questions as well that I am curious to learn the answer to as well for example:

How different people might attempt to deal with the underlying autoimmunity? and also,

How the Grave's can change presentation over time?

Any information that you feel comfortable sharing is appreciated. Thank you.

#5 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:51 PM

Nursing student CR:

When are your assignments due?  I can PM you about me.  

{{{hugs}}}

#6 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:02 AM

Hi Brett

I just sent you a (rather long) private message :) and I probably still missed bits out! Actually I don't think I addressed my current daily experience with Grave's , I'll think about this and perhaps send you another message :)

I'm so sorry you are having to go through all this 'social distancing' with young children. That must be particularly challenging. I'd be so happy not to have to go out at all (apart from the garden!) Now if only I could actually get food delivered!

Allies

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service