Low Tsh During Pregnancy - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Low Tsh During Pregnancy

Pregnancy Tsh Low tsh

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 057

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 12:39 AM

Advertisement
Hello!
Currently 38 weeks pregnant. Have had a low, almost zero TSH during the whole pregnancy but was told this was nothing to worry about.
My FT3 & FT4 have roughly sat around the same level for the entire pregnancy, these were the latest from last week -
FT3 4.4 (3.5-5.5)
FT4 11.6 (9.0-15.0)
TSH 0.096 LOW (0.3-3.5)

The TSH has been 0.25, 0.39, 0.007 etc, always very low.
My GP is stressing about it now & wants me to hassle the Endocrinologist for advice (38 weeks is a bit late to leave it, really.) But the Endo doesn't seem phased by it.

Is very low TSH during pregnancy a major issue? Is there anything I should know? Will the baby be ok? Will I be ok?

Advertisement

#2 057

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 12:43 AM

I should add I haven't been medicated at all for the pregnancy.

#3 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3918 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 10:47 AM

Hi 057:

Congratulations.  Has your TSI antibodies been checked at all?  Such as before pregnancy and during pregnancy?  The TSI needs to be as low as possible for the baby.  Your baby is going to need to be checked out after birth such as lab work.

From what I have read on the Internet, higher TSH seems more of a problem for a pregnancy than low TSH.  

{{{hugs}}}

#4 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:35 PM

Congratulations 057!

Not long to go now! By this stage I imagine you are full-on 'nesting' and getting a bit fed up with being pregnant :) I can't remember if you have other children, but if not, enjoy the peace and quiet before the noisy (but delightful) little bundle arrives :D

I think you are right that it's a bit late for your doctor to be worrying about your blood test results, and I don't think the low TSH can possibly mean you are hyper as your FT4 is rather low, nor is your FT3 elevated. I do wonder if thyroid hormones are like other things in pregnancy; shared with the growing baby who gets 'first dibs' on such things.

#5 057

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 08:18 AM

They checked my TRABs in October (around 3 months pregnant) & it was zero. I get another TRAB test this week.
I didn't think there was an issue with the low TSH as the FT3 & FT4 are... reasonable, & I feel alright.

Thanks! I've already got one squirt who's nearly two. We're gunna struggle without any help due to Covid19 distancing rules!

#6 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 03:35 PM

Ha! I should have gone back and checked previous posts - sorry, I have a head like a sieve at the moment; slight mental overload what with all this risk assessment and trying to triage what's important and what isn't :)

Resting can be tricky with a toddler underfoot, if your little squirt usually has an afternoon nap, try to do the same rather than taking that time to catch up on the housework (or paint the nursery!) If the whole family is stuck at home it might actually reduce your load a little when the new baby arrives. Of course the virus thing and social distancing means friends and relatives wont properly meet the new bub for a while :( - but perhaps if they live close by they can pick up and drop off supplies for you, maybe even cook the odd dinner?

Good news about the TRAB! Let's hope the latest results are the same

#7 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3918 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 04:27 PM

Zero trabs at 3 months?  Woo hoo, that is wonderful!

I had to smile when the Aussies are calling their children squirts and bubs.   :)  :wub:

{{{hugs}}}

#8 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:15 AM

Zero trabs at 3 months?  Woo hoo, that is wonderful!

I had to smile when the Aussies are calling their children squirts and bubs.   :)  :wub:

{{{hugs}}}

I have an 18 year old nephew who still gets called bubsy :D

#9 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3918 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

Allies:

LOL!   :D

{{{hugs}}}

#10 057

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 12:55 AM

The results for the TRABs won't be in for at least a week because of the post slowing down due to Covid19.
They did the TSH, FT3 & FT4 again this week (38 weeks pregnant) & they've even lower again

09/04/2020
FT3 4.4 (3.5-5.5)
FT4 11.6 (9.0-15.0)
TSH 0.096 LOW (0.3-3.5)

16/04/2020
FT3 3.9 (3.5-5.5)
FT4 10.1 (9.0-15.0)
TSH 0.1 (0.3-3.5)

I just can't seem to find out why the TSH is so low if the FT3 & FT4 are also falling, wouldn't the TSH be high if the other two were getting lower?
And what does a low TSH mean?
I'm not really sure what to do & my endo doesn't seem to know either, she's just hoping the TRAB test will reveal something.

I don't feel too bad, but maybe I'm just used to feeling bad now so I don't know any different!
I get a fair bit of rest, my toddler sleeps pretty well through the night now so I get my 8 hours at least. The stress of the Covid19 is probably taking a bit of a toll on me, along with trying to mentally prepare for a birth, I suppose I've got a bit on my mind. It's been a busy year.

I just don't know what to do now, and 38.5 weeks is pretty late to do anything anyway. I assume once I give birth all my hormones will go crazy again anyway & I'll be back at square one so maybe my best bet is to just wait & see?

#11 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3918 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:20 AM

Dear 057:

Click on this link from Elaine Moore explaining low TSH levels.

https://elaine-moore...d/60/post=13894

Let us know how things go for you and try not to stress.  We are with you all the way during these times.  :(  :wub:   

{{{hugs}}}

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pregnancy, Tsh, Low tsh

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service