Collagen Supplements And Graves - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Collagen Supplements And Graves

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GymBunny

GymBunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 11:46 AM

Advertisement
Hi, Im a newbie so hope this is going in the right place. Ive had Graves disease four or five times in my life, since I was 16 years old. Each time it was treated with medication. My last bout was about five years ago and Ive been stable and off medication for the last couple of years. Ive been fitter and healthier than ever in that time though I have had other health issues, namely premature ovarian insufficiency. A couple of weeks ago I started taking collagen supplements as Id been told they were good for joints, gut health, skin etc. and as my production has fallen earlier than normal (due to the POI) I thought it was a good idea. As with everything I take I did my research and found no contraindications for those supplements, though one or two of the brands claim they can boost metabolism. The last two/three days by resting pulse has increased from around 50-54 (standard for me) to around 70-80. Weirdly when I am asleep it is down in the 50s still (I have an Apple Watch so know its an accurate measure). Does anyone know if the collagen supplements could be responsible? Anyone ever heard of them causing a relapse? Or is it just coincidence? Im rather nervous of going to the doctors given the current situation, so thought Id try this avenue first. Im really stopped taking them as a precaution but they were beneficial so would like to be able to continue with them if I can. Any thoughts or advice gladly accepted.

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3916 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:16 PM

Hi GymBunny and welcome:

I drink organic bone broth, both homemade when I do have it made from the slow cooker and organic store bought.  

Is the brand you are using is made from undenatured collagen?  Are there any other ingredients mixed in with the Collagen supplement?

We can still have Graves' Disease for the rest of our lives and go through periodic remissions. 

Are your thyroid levels of the Free T3 and the Free T4 in the 'right' places to feel your best there at?  Such as the FT3 at usually mid range of the normal lab reference range and the FT4 at the upper third range?  

{{{hugs}}}

#3 GymBunny

GymBunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:35 PM

The supplements I have are multi collagen hydrolysed, and they have Vit C, hyaluronic acid, hipper one, biotin and magnesium stearate. I have seen something about biotin giving messy readings when having thyroid bloods taken, so I guess it could be that?

I havent had a blood test for ages, they signed me off from endocrinology and said to only have a test if I felt I needed it. It doesnt help that I suffer from severe anxiety, so Im now in a panic loop! I was stable for a long time while still taking the PTU as I was having IVF and didnt want to rock the boat. That ended two years ago and Ive had no symptoms until now... and its just the increase in waking HR.

#4 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:47 PM

Hi GymBunny and welcome :)

The first thing that springs to mind is to look at what else is in the particular collagen supplement you have been taking. Sometimes people can react to fillers, or flavourings in pills and powders.

On the face of it collagen has some properties that could be quite beneficial to people with Grave's - bone health in particular, But if it's all mixed in with something that upsets your immune system the costs may outweigh any benefits :(

A quick look in PubMed indicates that in Grave's disease collagen is often studied in relation to thyroid eye disease, which might indicate a connection between collagen and the soft tissue around our eyes, and by extension soft tissue elsewhere in our bodies. I only had a quick look though, there may be more specific information if you drill a little deeper into PubMed.

First off though I would examine the ingredients label on the supplement :)

Cheers
Allies :D

#5 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3916 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

GymBunny:

What is the word "hipper one" in the Collagen supplement?  Is the vitamin C from Ascorbic Acid or?    

Biotin can definitely mess up one's thyroid levels of the FT3, FT4, and TSH.  

{{{hugs}}}

#6 GymBunny

GymBunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:56 PM

The vitamin C is L-ascorbic acid and it has 80mg per dose. The biotin is 50mcg per dose.

#7 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:09 PM

Hi again

Another thought that occurs, after noticing your latest post, is that the increased anxiety brought about by the current situation we all find ourselves in is probably enough to have a physiological effect - ie the increased heart rate might be more to do with a stress reaction than the collagen supplement.

Is there any point telling you to relax and not to worry? (It would be rather hypocritical of me because this whole thing is making me extra tense too!)

Biotin can effect blood test results because of the way the blood is processed in the lab.

#8 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3916 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:11 PM

As Allies mentioned I would question about the additional things listed in the Collagen supplement.  If it were me I'd want to be looking for just plain undenatured Collagen supplement with nothing added to it.

In my beginning journey with GD (I have had it since 2000 after the birth of my last child) I've had hits and misses with a lot of supplements affecting me by the way of the thyroid levels before I finally realized within the last couple of years that I could not tolerate synthetic made vitamins.  I had to look for whole foods based vitamins and supplements as well the changes I had made in the few years past to eat organic and non-GMO among using safer household and personal products.    

{{{hugs}}}

#9 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:39 PM

Like Mmztcass i try to get my nutrient needs met mostly via whole foods - so mostly use stock (bone broth) rather than a supplement, although I do have some (grass fed) gelatin powder in my cupboard - mostly I use it in small amounts to 'set' my coconut yogurt, but I have been known to add it to my stock if the stock hasn't 'gelled' particularly well.

I'm operating on the theory that the more we mess with our foods (such as in processing) the less nutrients and co-factors the food will contain. So I went with gelatin rather than collagen because as far as I can see it's a step earlier in the manufacturing process and might therefore still contain some other useful bits and pieces that work with the collagen. Bone broth is probably an even earlier step :)

I've been consuming bone broth fairly regularly and occasional gelatin for around a year and a half, with no side effects that I've noticed. My thyroid hormones have remained in range and are pretty stable, so for myself I would say that this approach isn't a problem. I've not used collagen powder by itself though.

#10 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3916 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 09:08 PM

Allies:

Since making the changes with Whole Foods and using food based supplements I have to let you know that I haven't taken any ATD for about 2 and a half months now.  Woo hoo! 

I am waiting for the pandemic to end somewhat that I can get out and about to go to the doctor's office and have labs ordered.  To see my doctor I have to make an appointment only on the certain days the office is opened and will have to do the same for my labs.  The labs do not offer any walk ins.        

{{{hugs}}}

#11 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 03:37 AM

Allies:

Since making the changes with Whole Foods and using food based supplements I have to let you know that I haven't taken any ATD for about 2 and a half months now.  Woo hoo! 

I am waiting for the pandemic to end somewhat that I can get out and about to go to the doctor's office and have labs ordered.  To see my doctor I have to make an appointment only on the certain days the office is opened and will have to do the same for my labs.  The labs do not offer any walk ins.        

{{{hugs}}}

Wow, that's awesome! I'm really pleased for you - so here's a heartfelt Woo hoo from down under: "WOO HOO!!"

...and {{HUGGS}}
:D

#12 GymBunny

GymBunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 11:25 AM

Thank you so much for all your responses, suggestions and kind words, it really helped. The good news is that today my resting HR is back to 58, and no palpitations. Im going to wait a few days, let everything settle and then, like a good scientist, try the pills again. If the same happens Ill bin them, but hopefully it will be fine and will have just been stress or something. I really appreciate this discussion though, thank you 😊

#13 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:45 PM

Let us know how your experiment goes :D

#14 GymBunny

GymBunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:04 PM

Hi again. So it turns apparently my raised heart rate was a mixture of anxiety and a bit of anaemia, so back on the collagen pills (my doctor said there was no reason not to take them) and so far so good 😊

#15 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3916 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:53 PM

Hi GymBunny:

How will the Anemia be treated?  Taking Iron with vitamin C (the non ascorbic acid kind) and/or B-12 with Folate?

{{{hugs}}}

#16 GymBunny

GymBunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:33 PM

Hi mmztcass

Im taking iron bisglycinate tablets, 50mg. Much lower dose than I was given on prescription but trying to find something that doesnt mess up my stomach too much. I take vit c with it and have to take it last thing at night away from tea, dairy etc. Its a nightmare, I hate having to take them but better than anaemia I guess 😕

#17 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3916 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

Hi GymBunny:

I definitely know what you mean. 

I take my Iron (Ferrous Fumarate 18 mg) with the powdered vitamin C (non ascorbic kind) in with my other fruit/veggie powders in between my meals at mid day.  Luckily my stomach has not been protesting such as nausea.  Yay!  :) 

Then I have to take my B-12 during another time with the Folate and other B vitamins and Zinc.  Zinc and Iron can't be taken together.  

{{{hugs}}}   

#18 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:06 PM

Hi Gymbunny :)

I'm glad you've figured out what was causing the raised heart rate. Symptoms always seem a bit easier to cope with once we have a good idea what's causing them - perhaps because we don't feel so helpless if we can come up with a plan to hopefully improve matters..

Just to be different I try to get my vitamins and minerals via foods :) although since we're heading towards winter here I've restarted vitamin D3 supplementation just to be on the safe side :)

Allies
:D

#19 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3916 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 09:17 PM

Allies:

I agree, vitamins from foods are the best.  I have been looking at an organic brand of unsulphured blackstrap molasses to get my Iron once I am finished with the current Iron bottle I am on.

{{{hugs}}}

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service