#1 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

Advertisement

I've spent most of the day trying to figure out under which subtopic to post my concerns. Perhaps "Website Help" might have been better, but figured I was safe just heading to The Lounge.....

All these new categories are great in theory, Jeff, but seem to be a bit overwhelming. I've been with this group for several years so I am quite familiar with it, and my levels are pretty stable, but I find it intimidating in the sense of trying to determine "what goes where." I would think someone who just got here and had thyroid levels all over the map might just walk away because it might seem too difficult to figure out what to post where.

The old discussion board was the main place to post and each thread listed within that forum was separate and easy to distinguish from the others. We could sort through the OT, general questions about the website, questions about thyroid or labs or symptoms, or whatever. But at least we knew where to start, where to look for our posts, where to start new threads so everyone would see them. I do like "the Lounge" spinoff, but the other new categories might do better going into ONE general purpose forum like we had it before--Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion.

I'd like to suggest leaving the forums in the order they were before, but adding The Lounge at the bottom. In my opinion, it was enough having to choose among Thyroid 101, the main discussion board, and the newsfeed. I personally think that adding anything besides "The Lounge" is overkill.

Combine "General Information" and "Graves' Disease and Thyroid Resources" into one main list that contains the following:

-----Thyroid 101 - which is mostly for education and people can contribute research links and other basic info. Pretty self explanatory and isn't confused with a discussion board.

-----"Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion" - which should just be blended with the "Welcome to Living with Graves' Disease."

-----Graves' Disease and Thyroid Newsfeed - which is interesting, but doesn't necessarily call for public input so it's not confused with a place to post questions or contributions intended for the main discussion board.

------The Lounge - for kicks!

What does everybody else think?

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4001 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Sounds fine too. Might be better too, especially for the newly GD person who cannot think straight - foggy brain because of being so ill at the moment.

{{{hugs}}} :)

#3 Monica

Monica

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

Well I have noticed since we started this, there haven't been any new posts on the rest of the forum. I didn't even know about the lounge till I emailed Tammy and asked if there was something wrong with the board since I saw threads missing.

I'd also encourage Jeff to read any threads that he is considering moving because some that may seem off topic really aren't. For example the question about gold fillings or some of our earlier discussions about vaccines. We need to be really careful with GD that we don't introduce any conflicts into our body and we often ask if anyone has had a negative experience with certain things in relation to their GD.

#4 Jeffrey Roberts

Jeffrey Roberts

Member #1 Publisher

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for sharing your concerns. This is actually the kind of feedback that I have been looking for from the group. In the absence of feedback, I have made decisions based on the success that we have seen on the IBSGroup.org forums.

Oops, my mistake on the gold fillings posting. I have moved it back to the main forum. Moderators can freely move topics around. Perhaps some others would like to also become Moderators?

We introduced the Welcome forum last year on IBSGroup.org and saw a good increase in new membership. I suppose it was the acknowledgement that we were welcoming new members. As an outsider it wasn't really clear here that new members were welcome. Realistically, in order for this group to survive and not be lost in the giant web, it needs to grow.

When I started the IBSgroup.org site we also had all postings in a single forum. It became congested both from topics which were off topic and from a search perspective. In time I think that new forums will arise here as well when some members want to discuss specific issues, for example diagnosis versus treatment.

Perhaps not having 2 categories "General Information" and "Graves' Disease and Thyroid Resources" would make it work better. I have reworked things based on your feedback.

It would be good to hear from more members about this.

#5 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4001 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for sharing your concerns. This is actually the kind of feedback that I have been looking for from the group. In the absence of feedback, I have made decisions based on the success that we have seen on the IBSGroup.org forums.

Oops, my mistake on the gold fillings posting. I have moved it back to the main forum. Moderators can freely move topics around. Perhaps some others would like to also become Moderators?

We introduced the Welcome forum last year on IBSGroup.org and saw a good increase in new membership. I suppose it was the acknowledgement that we were welcoming new members. As an outsider it wasn't really clear here that new members were welcome. Realistically, in order for this group to survive and not be lost in the giant web, it needs to grow.

When I started the IBSgroup.org site we also had all postings in a single forum. It became congested both from topics which were off topic and from a search perspective. In time I think that new forums will arise here as well when some members want to discuss specific issues, for example diagnosis versus treatment.

Perhaps not having 2 categories "General Information" and "Graves' Disease and Thyroid Resources" would make it work better. I have reworked things based on your feedback.

It would be good to hear from more members about this.

If you need moderator(s), I would be happy to be one.

{{{hugs}}} :)

#6 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

Jeff -

Thanks for the changes. Much easier to navigate now.

Best Wishes,
Chris

#7 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

I think Linda would make a great moderator. She's so helpful to everyone.

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service