After Total Thyroidectomy.. Living? - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

After Total Thyroidectomy.. Living?

Graves disease thyroidectomy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Boac123

Boac123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:08 PM

Advertisement
I was suddenly attacked by my thyroid in 2006. At which time I lost close to 50 lbs, filled up with water retention..massively and almost died. Medicines did nothing to curve the attack. Therefore total removal. Had no warnings..no bulging eyes, no goiter,.. nothing. Since then I've been on generic synthroid. After the removal, ..well..you know. My nails gave mountainous ridges, split all the way down to quick, my hair...oh well... ruined my heart. Permanent afib., along with the other autoimmune illnesses..A.S. ( spondylitis), two knee replacements and upcoming total shoulder replacement with hip in background waiting..osteoarthritis very bad,
Very hard to find anything about how to survive post total thyroidectomy..at least I have problems with this. All talk about meds, etc..but still having a thyroid. I've taken numerous vitamins, etc for various issues to no avail...... oh, graves also ruined my teeth!... I am SICK OF IT ALL!. I can mo longer do as almost anything... my faje knees hurt like......., the AS is totally messing up my spine, exercise is not an option anymore.... just to drive us a chore. I'm 62..this started in my mid 40s.... is there anyone else out there with a similar background of total removal???. Woukd kimive a pointer or two that will not break the bank, so to speak.. on limited monthly income. Cant afford fancy foods,etc....
Thsnks for letting me vent!!
Carol O

Advertisement

#2 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:33 PM

Hi Carol

So sorry you have been, and are still going through all this :(

I can't speak as a thyroidless person, as I've battled somewhat to keep my own. It seems one of the main problems people have once they no longer have a functioning thyroid gland is being prescribed the correct amount and type of thyroid hormone replacement - so a good doctor is pretty important - and it's not always easy to find or afford one of these :( (although sometimes just changing one's doctor can lead to an improvement :) ) Having one's thyroid status assessed by TSH alone is a huge problem with Grave's disease, and if the doctor you currently see is doing this, a different doctor would likely be a good idea.

Another (complimentary and wholistic) approach is to try to tackle the autoimmunity itself. This can be expensive, or not, depending on how you do this (I try to do this the cheap way :) ). At base it means removing things from one's diet and everyday life that may upset or confuse our immune systems - this mostly boils down to food intolerances and all the chemicals that get added to everyday things and replacing these with things that support - or at least don't irritate us. So on the cleaning front you might choose to use cheap things like vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. Self care products can be more challenging (especially to one's wallet!). I went through a phase of washing my hair using eggs and conditioning with cider vinegar - made my hair lovely, but was a finicky and messy process! : D

Diet is a minefield, there are any number of things that might upset an already disrupted immune system and it is usually a matter of personal trial and error to find out what suits us as individuals and what doesn't - keeping a food and symptom log can sometimes help to narrow down potential culprits. We have to be mindful that if we remove something from our diets we are also removing whatever vitamins and minerals we were getting from that food source and somehow include these in our diets elsewhere. (I learned that one the hard way!)

In the absence of being able to afford a dietician, there's a lot of information online about diet - quite a bit of which is aimed at reducing autoimmunity. Libraries - if they are open, safe and accessible - can also be a good source of information. It's possible to eat to support our cellular health without breaking the bank. We don't necessarily need to include expensive super-foods, but I think wholefoods are important - organic, or chemical free where possible; this can get expensive but there are online lists that indicate which fruit and vegetables are the most chemically contaminated (and thus the ones to buy organically) whereas other even conventionally grown items can be peeled or washed to remove most chemical residue.

Perhaps check out the environmental working group's clean fifteen and dirty dozen lists (link below) to get an idea of where it might be worth spending the extra money to buy organic :)

https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/

I try my hardest these days not to eat anything that is overly processed, or filled with or covered in chemicals and where possible extend that to products I use on myself and around the house. I do this mostly, but not always, on the cheap :)

Cheers
Allies
:D

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service