Recent Diagnosis And Little Knowledge - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Recent Diagnosis And Little Knowledge

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DarrahJoy86

DarrahJoy86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:19 AM

Advertisement

Dear All,

It is amazing to find this community amongst the uncertainty I am experiencing.

I had a routine checkup last week and it resulted in my being diagnosed with Graves' Disease. I quickly saw a doctor and have been put on 10mg of Thiamazol daily (currently on day three), but I have no idea what my numbers mean or what I should be paying attention to moving forward. I am also quite scared by the potential side effects of the medication.

Based on what I have read on other threads and forums on this page and elsewhere, it seems like this medication is the best way to move forward at the moment. My doctor noted that we have caught this rather early given that I have only experienced moderate weight loss (less than 10 lbs) and mild shortness of breath when eating since the onset of the pandemic in March (my numbers last year were all normal) and was simply completing my annual checkup without any suspicions or concerns.

I am going to go ahead and assume that this was brought on by stress even though I thought I was handling the transition to strict safety measures and home office well? I am really upset by this diagnosis and what it might mean as far as being vulnerable to further autoimmune diseases like MS (grandfather) and thyroid eye disease (mother), which have both occurred in my family albeit under different circumstances.

I am simply overwhelmed by this sudden situation and the huge amounts of information there are to read. I would appreciate any insight into what I should be paying attention to moving forward as I attempt to advocate for myself with little understanding (my next appointment is next early next week). I am grateful to you all for sharing your experiences and creating a space to share and learn.

TSH <0.01
FT3 8.68
FT4 2.35

TRAb 7.7
TPOAb 244

Tgab 18

Thank you.

Best,

Darrah

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:24 PM

Hi Darrah:

Welcome.  I apologize, I just found your post which was posted under Personal Stories and moved it to this current section Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion.  The Personal Stories section is for people to post their stories on successfully going into remission or keeping things as balanced as possible with their thyroid health.   

I am sorry you are having issues and are finding things confusing.  If you can post with the lab reference ranges for the above labs, we can better see what is going on.

Also please post how often is the Thiamazol is being taken during the day and if any other medications are being taken?

{{{hugs}}}

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service