Mmztcass' Lab Results - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Mmztcass' Lab Results

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:38 PM

Advertisement

Hello everyone:

I am posting my lab results from ordering via the telehealth call with my NP.  Something I don't normally do as I am a very, very long time member/moderator of this board since 2002.  I am always helping others.   :)

I am five months med free from not taking any MMI (Methimazole) since mid February of 2020.  I am not taking any other meds.  

My labs down below:

TSH, High Sensitivity 0.38  L   0.45 - 4.50

T4 Free 1.6                              0.8 - 1.7

T3 Free 2.9                              2.0 ­- 4.8

Microsomal TPO Antibody 411.3  H   ≤60.0

Thyroglobulin Antibodies 4.6  H         ≤3.9

TRAb (TSH Receptor Antibody) 1.24 < OR = 2.00

TSI ,Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin 92 <140 % baseline  

Other labs such as B12 was high:

Vitamin B12 1265  H   232 - 1245 

LDL Cholesterol, Calculated 112  H   ≤99

In addition to having Graves' Disease I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis (since 1992) which will factor in for just elevated B12 level.  Also the appearance of myxedma from the past several years.  

As for the just elevated LDL, and seeing how my thyroid antibodies are doing, I suspect I may be finally heading hypO as in Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  The cholesterol numbers can get thrown off when hypOthyroidism is suspected.

Prior TPOab and TgAb from the years past (probably close to 17 years ago when it was last checked) I remember these numbers having been a way lot lower such as the TPOab was just barely in the 200 range.  The TSI was a lot higher such as in 400s (?). 

I do follow a diet of organic, non-GMO, of taking only whole foods vitamins that aren't synthetic of the B Complex, C, CoQ10, Curcumin, D3, E, Iron, K2, Lecithin, Lutein, Salmon oil, Vitamin Butter, Zinc along with liquid minerals of both Magnesium and multiminerals.  I do supplement with organic Wheatgrass, carrots, and berries power powders.  

Because of the higher vitamin B12 level, I am discontinuing taking extra B12 lozenges.  

I have been feeling okay otherwise.  I would like to see the FT3 higher as not to have too much muscle fatigue/spasms and less Pretibial Myxedema.  I will continue monitoring and assessing how I feel.  Which is truly the best I ever have felt since being med free.  :)  ;)  

{{{hugs}}}

Advertisement

#2 Tiffanyt

Tiffanyt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:33 PM

Hi mmztcass
I havent gone on this site in awhile and every time I do I love seeing your response to peoples situations and also sharing your personal story.
It sounds so nice that your medication free and your feeling well!
Thats is definitely my goal.
Thanks for always sharing and Im going to look into all the vitamins you take to see whatll work for me 🤗
Tiffany

#3 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:01 AM

Hi Tiffanyt:

I am glad my post is of help to you.   :)

I feel this is why I may be finally having success with my thyroid with switching over to whole foods vitamins from synthetic vitamins.  I may not have been absorbing the synthetics very well after all these years of taking them and not realizing I wasn't recovering.    

{{{hugs}}} 

#4 Tiffanyt

Tiffanyt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:34 AM

Hi mmztcass
Is there a post of where you list all your whole food vitamins?
Researching vitamins get so frustrating and it feels like a black hole. Never ending 🥴
Thank you!

#5 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:06 PM

Hi Tiffanyt:

I will list in the next post after this of the brands of vitamins and supplements I am currently taking.  Please understand that I am in no way promoting these supplements to others with thyroid and other health issues which may or may not help.  Taking them was the basis for my thyroid recovery.

We are all so different with our thyroid issues and what will work for each of us.  Meaning we can have different thyroid triggers from one another and have to find what these are and work on them.  

My thyroid journey began in 2000 and here I am 20 years later to have finally gotten somewhere.   :)  :wub:

{{{hugs}}}

#6 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:26 PM

Hi Mmztcass:)

Apart from saying thank you for all the help you provide here (for many years!) for myself and others, thanks too for sharing these results :) It's really very interesting since a lot of the results people do tend to share reflect what is occurring early on in Grave's disease, and I think it's fair to say that you are a veteran rather than a newbie at this :)

So just for a change, I'll give you my take on your results :D (keeping in mind that you have way more experience at this than I do)

I think that your TSH is only a little bit low, FT4 looks pretty good to me :), but the FT3 doesn't look great :( I wonder if this is usual for people with thyroid autoimmunity? It's something I'm struggling to address as well, and it seems to be reasonably common in hypothyroidism too (including Hashimoto's). Since a healthy thryoid gland only produces around 20% of the FT3 our bodies need to function, the conversion of FT4 into FT3 seems pretty important. This seems somewhat dependent on deiodinase activity - a whole new layer of complexity - but as far as I can tell thus far deiodinase may rely somewhat on selenium, zinc, B vitamins and iron.

It looks like your Grave's antibodies are below the levels thought to be problematic :) TSI doesn't look high enough to stimulate thyroid hormone production and the overall TRAB is below the cut-off point which could indicate there's less of a chance of these directly causing either hyper or hypo -thyroidism - or in the case of neutral TRAB, less chance of causing thyroid cell apoptosis (if that is indeed what they do).

What the elevated TPOabs might mean is a bit of a mystery. If Elaine Moore is right and TPOabs reflect inflammation of thyroid tissue, then I guess considering what might be causing this inflammation might be key. It could be that TPOabs were actually higher before you changed to more naturally based supplementation, and that the inflammation is slowly resolving. I don't think I've read anything scientific that definitively states that TPOabs cause thyroid gland atrophy - although it seems likely that such atrophy might be accompanied by inflammation and subsequently higher TPOabs (a bit of a chicken and egg situation). It could also be that the current rather worrying situation we find ourselves in is impacting on our immune system functioning and thus antibody production. As for TGabs, I'm even more in the dark.

Did you get the full lipid panel? I'm not convinced that LDL by itself is indicative of much, HDL and triglyceride levels might also be useful to factor in? For instance there's a suggestion that a slightly elevated LDL is not necessarily problematic if triglycerides are low and HDL is high.

{{hugs}}
Allies

PS
I should get the results back for the latest TRAB test and TPOabs later today, we can compare notes :D

#7 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:56 PM

Mmztcass' vitamin and supplement list for living in the USA:

B Complex (Naturelo)

ReAline - B Complex (Dr. Dean's)

Vitamin C Powder (The Synergy Company)

CoQ10 (Healthy Origins)

Curcumin Liquid (from my ND's office)

Vitamin D3 (Vitacost.com brand)

Vitamin E (Healthy Origins)

Iron (Vitacost brand)

Vitamin K2 (Healthy Origins)

Lecithin with Sunflower oil (Now)

Lutein (Healthy Origins)

Salmon Oil (Vital Choice)

Vitamin Butter Oil (NutraPro International)

Wheatgrass powder (HealthForce)

Wheatgrass powder (The Synergy Company)

Carrot Powder (The Synergy Company)

Berries Power Powder (The Synergy Company)

ReMag - liquid Magnesium (Dr. Dean's)

ReMyte - liquid Minerals (Dr. Dean's)

L-OptiZinc (Vitacost brand)

Please do your own research from above.

{{{hugs}}} 

#8 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:08 PM

Hi Allies:

Loved your feedback.  Yes, totally in agreement with you.  I definitely would wonder if my TPOab were a lot higher before making all these changes with the vits and supplements starting with the past 18 months.

My Cholesterol Panel is down below.  I had my ND look over yesterday and I have an in-the-office appointment this Friday to see the NP who ordered the labwork to go over the results.  The ND and I knew (from researching online) that the lab reference range for the LDL had changed from <129 downward to <99.  I am guessing due to the current Pharmaceutical Drug companies suggestions.    

Lipid Panel w/rflx LDL Direct   

Cholesterol 179 ≤199 mg/dL

Triglyceride 58 ≤149 mg/dL      

Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 3.3 ≤4.4          

HDL Cholesterol 55 ≥50 mg/dL        

Non­HDL Cholesterol 124 ≤129 mg/dL         

LDL Cholesterol, Calculated 112  H  * ≤99 mg/dL        

VLDL Cholesterol 12 ≤29 mg/dL 

{{{hugs}}}

#9 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:17 PM

Hi Mmztcass :)

I think your lipid panel looks okay (obviously I'm not a doctor though :) ) The only parameter outside the ranges at all (and not by much) is the LDL, and that's one of those controversial areas. Your triglycerides are very low (which I think is probably good), your overall cholesterol is not elevated and the HDL looks like it's at a pretty good level :) Of the LDL, the form that is often viewed as potentially problematic - the very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) - looks pretty low too :) The Non­HDL Cholesterol 124 ≤129 mg/dL is the sum of the LDL and VLDL, and again you are below the reference point when these two are considered together :)

If those were my cholesterol levels, I'd be pretty happy with them :) ...I might be inclined to research the low triglycerides and VLDL just to reassure myself that it's okay for these to be that low, but i suspect that neither of those would be viewed as a problem. It will be interesting to see how your NP interprets the panel :)

I wonder if the lowering of the LDL reference point is due to pressure from pharmaceutical companies wanting to sell more statins - I'm pretty sure you will say no if those are offered (it seems pretty well understood that statins lower the body's coQ10, not something those of us with Grave's are likely to undertake lightly!). LDL measurements strike me as being a little bit like TSH, it's been singled out as a diagnostic parameter when it's probably best viewed in conjunction with other related levels.

Most of my thinking around cholesterol is shaped by other people's interpretation of the science since there are only so many research papers I'm willing to read and anything in the dietary area tends to be fraught with things that confound or confuse the conclusions.

I got my antibody results back, but will add these to the other (iodine update) thread :)

#10 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:33 PM

Hi Allies:

Yes, exactly as what the ND and I said about the lowered down reference range for the LDL, we were discussing that pharmaceutical companies would want to sell more statins.  :rolleyes:  Even my RN (Registered Nurse) son agrees and said his Endo said the exact same thing when my son had his appointment a couple of weeks ago.  :blink:  My son is a T1D (Type 1 Diabetic).  

I definitely agree with you about the LDL reference range and the TSH face similar issues.

Can't wait to see your antibodies results.   :)

{{{hugs}}} 

#11 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:17 PM

Hi all:

I am back.  I had my follow up with my doctor yesterday to go over the lab results.  He went on and on about my thyroid, not believing I was feeling fine and had been ATD free for several months now.

In three months I am to recheck the labs of just the FT3, FT4, and TSH to see how things are and also to get an ultrasound of my thyroid.  

I was nervous in the office.  My pulse was elevated and it was so hot outside that for the area I live in is currently experiencing extensive heat wave.  I also had to wear the mask which made it worst for me with the feeling of not being able to breathe.  The medical assistant turned the fan on me so I could cool down in the exam room. 

The doctor rechecked my pulse right at the end of my appointment and it till was high, but not right at check in.  When I had checked in it was at 108 and then dropped to 92.  I told him that my normal pulse of late has been around 65 to 66 bpm when I am home.    

{{{hugs}}} 

#12 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:39 PM

P.S.  This is also what made things worst for me that due to having a profound hearing loss and not be able to lip read the medical staff.  

I found a link below that it would be great if the medical profession used these than using the standard masks that no one can see the person's face.

https://www.theclearmask.com/

#13 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:34 PM

Hi Mmztcass

What was it about your thyroid results that your doctor didn't like the look of? I suspect it's the slightly low TSH and high in range FT4? Odd really as the low in range FT3 is what most people with an autoimmune thyroid problem would be concerned about! An ultrasound result might be interesting, but you may have to weigh that up against where you have to go to have that done (and therefore potential risks of exposure to coronavirus, if this is still an issue in a few months time), but also if that is something you would have to pay for (here in Australia the doctor would bill it to Medicare, but I have to remind myself that your health system is set up differently)

At least it doesn't sound like your doctor was concerned about the cholesterol results :)

I think most doctors these days understand white coat syndrome, so it's always handy to have been monitoring our own pulse and blood pressure so that we can let the docs know what these are like in everyday life rather than just in stressful situations

Those clear masks look like a good idea - especially for doctors! It looks likes some brands might be reusable too, which reduces the overall cost :) i had noticed, on the odd occasion that I've worn a mask, that people don't know you are smiling at them, but it hadn't occurred to me that others might rely on lip reading as well as facial expressions to understand others - I'm really glad you pointed that out. Masks are not mandatory where I live (unless you have cold/flu symptoms, are getting tested, awaiting results from testing or transporting someone to and from testing stations). As we've all come to realise though the situation can change rapidly because coronavirus is so contagious

Hope you are staying safe and well

{{Hugs}}

#14 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:03 PM

Hi Allies:

Yes, I believe that was my doctor's concern that the slightly low TSH and the higher FT4 was a problem.  However he looked over previous thyroid labs from the files (on his computer) that my FT4 was at 1.6 even with the small amounts of MMI I had taken.  He said he didn't want me to restart the MMI based on that I felt pretty good.  He did agree that we could take the 'wait and see' approach as to which direction I was going to go with - normal, hypO or back to hypER with monitoring my labs a little more often.  If you recall, I always had a harder time to get my doctor to order my labs more often than once per year due to the medicare I have.  :o   

The medicare I have, will, thankfully, pay for the Ultrasound.  :)   

I realized that with the doctors, nurses and medical staff hiding behind their masks gives off the same feelings for me when I would go for an appointment in a dentist office.  The dental staff hide behind their masks when one is sitting in the dental chair.  (hmmm...they could benefit with using clear masks as well for me to see better their lips and facial expressions).  :mellow: 

{{{hugs}}}   

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service