Hyper Since The Start Of Pandemic! Help, Please? - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Hyper Since The Start Of Pandemic! Help, Please?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Happy0101

Happy0101

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 05:20 PM

Advertisement

Hi Guys,

First of all, thank you all so much for being so supportive here, i am a silent reader here for years and you dont know how many times this forum helped me!

Here is my story now. I do have Graves diagnosis since 2014 and i am on methimazole, dosage depends on my levels, i do have hyper spikes, but i adjust the dosage and the hormones level off. At certain point i was on 2.50 or 1.25 a day for the longest time.

Starting pandemic everything changed, kids on remote, work is remote, i got promoted at my job and got tons of responsibilities, super stressful, stress from pandemic, you name it. I am sure i am not alone here! We are all more or less in the same boat. I just cant come back to normal levels and felt like i need to finally ask you for advice. My major symptom right now is enlarged thyroid, tough to swallow, sensitive, i want to touch it all the time, like i have fullness. Overall, tired, but might be not enough sleep due to work, but i get my 7 hours though. Not energetic for sure. I am on 10mg of methimazole ( i split the pill to take it morning and evening) and 10mg of propranolol. My results are below:

So the thyroid is the same for now, i see although the Free T levels are in range, TSH is still suppressed and takes time. My doctor suggested going back to 12.5mg of methimazole and see if i feel better, for like 3 weeks.I dont know what to do at this point. Should i adjust the dose like that? Should i stay at 10 for 3 more weeks and re-test? What can i do to make this better....Supplements? Diet change? Any advice? THANK YOU!

DATE TSH FREE T4 FREE T3  

4/9 4.06 1.3 2.78  

5/30 3.49 1.2 2.67 3.75MG

7/1 1.11 1.5 3.09 3.75MG

8/7 0.03 2.2 4.66 Started 7.5MG

9/3 0.01 2.9 5.92 Started 15MG+10MG PROPRANOLOL

9/23 0.01 2.2 4.35 15MG+10MG PROPRANOLOL

10/19 0.01 1.5 3.53 15MG+10MG PROPRANOLOL

11/9 0.03 1.3 3.23 10MG+10MG PROPRANOLOL  

.27-4.20 .9-1.8 1.80-4.60   -  RANGE

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3971 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:06 PM

Hello Happy0101:

I am sorry you have a lot on your plate.  The current Pandemic situation certainly can make things very stressful for so many of us!

What has been done for you with the diet and vitamins/supplements?  It sounds like no vits/supps are being taken, correct?  Are any healthier foods being consumed such as organic and non-gmo?

Are healthier household and personal products being used?  I use 'green' laundry and use organic/non gmo personal products from head to toe.  I try to use safer products with the least amount of chemicals and fragrance free (unscented) as possible.  

I would write down or put in the computer of any food triggers as you have listed a lot of environmental and stress triggers.

As Iodine been limited to 150 mcg per day?  

As for the amount of the MMI (Methimazole) and the beta blocker being used, I would work on to take the 'right' amounts to keep the Free T4 closer to the upper third range and the Free T3 at mid range.  This would have to be worked with along any of the the triggers mentioned above.  

Lastly the hypER spikes you had before the Pandemic, what triggered these?

Yes, I realized I am repeating myself with these questions.  However if you noticed that these swings were happening due to the Pandemic, I would then say that doing things such as meditation, etc. would help to lower down the stress levels.    

How old are the children now?

{{{hugs}}}

#3 Happy0101

Happy0101

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:48 PM

Hi, Linda! Thank you so much for responding!

My kids are 5 and 10:)

In terms of supplements, i was not taking anything really, but i was thinking i should based on reading of this forum, so i saw your brand recommendation somewhere and i bought " Nature's life mini vite micro tablets vitamins, they are without iron and dont have horse dosage of all vitamins.I took it maybe for 2 days and then stopped because i knew i had to take a blood test and i didnt want to interfere with results, i read that B vitamin falsely interferes with results. I haven't taken them ever since, but i want to. Do you think it is a good idea? I definitely dont want to make it worse by taking them.

I dont take iodine.

In terms of food, i did eat sushi once a week for a few weeks ( wrong, i know, i just needed to feel good), but i stopped it, no sushi for 2 weeks now and not planning on eating them any time soon. I do eat sugary foods and drink teas, so i want to limit this as well, and chips too. Overall, i am buying mostly healthy and organic products, even if it is junk, it is organic junk, but again, i am stopping this now in order to experiment and see if that changes anything. I dont each much fruits and veggies, regular amounts, i guess,  i also eat avocados often. What should i be eating and what should i stay away from? Any guidelines?

I also want to mention that since the pandemic started, i needed to do a blood test and i called my lab and the nurse told me it was not safe to come in. So i was thinking what to do and how to get the labs done and i found this company that has private labs, it is called letsgetchecked.com and you can buy thyroid kit and take your blood at home, prick method, send it back to them next morning and in a few days the results are sent to app. That was pretty cool, so i am doing this ever since.

Major trigger is stress and i try to de-stress, but this is super hard:(

So in terms of methimazole, i am super confused on what to do, if i go up to 12.5, the results will go lower, away from upper third range, Should i just keep 10mg, wait another 3 weeks and re-test? I hope thyroid will start shrinking....wishful thinking though.

#4 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3971 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:45 PM

Hi Happy0101:

You are correct.  The Free T4 will drop more down to the lower end of the lab reference range if more MMI is taken.  It is taking less MMI to allow for the Free T4 to come up.  

If it were me, I'd be looking at to take 7.5 mg instead.

You have young kids so naturally it is being more involved at the young age with remote schooling along with remote work, no wonder.  If you can find some time to try to destress that will help.  

Is the Nature Life's multi also without Iodine as well?  

Get a small notebook or record at the computer of what foods were consumed and pay attention to any hypER triggers and avoid.  It looks like much of your diet is alright, but we are all so different.  What may bother one person will not bother the next for the exact same thing consumed.

{{{hugs}}}

#5 Happy0101

Happy0101

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:14 PM

The multi has no iodine and no iron. here is the link:

https://natureslife....-mini-vite.html

Would it be helpful and safe to take it?

In regards to dosing, i felt exactly the same! This is why i came here, 12.5 just doesnt make sense to me, it will only lead me to trend towards hypo, even though my TSH is suppressed now, but it is a matter of time for it to jump up.

Come to think of it, although my thyroid was enlarged, it was minimal, about a week and a half ago i started feeling that it got noticeable and sensitive and tough to swallow feeling. My feet are also getting cold, so i started thinking i was trending towards hyper, hence i immediately did the labs. Could this be it? and the reason why i started feeling it like that? Just trying to connect the dots.

It totally makes sense to me to lower to 7.5MG and keep propranolol for now. I will have to explain this change to my endo though:) but they are not always seeing the big picture!

#6 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3971 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 07:14 PM

Happy0101:

You are going hypO right now.  Look at the latest Free Ts from November and compare with the previous one from October.  The numbers for the Free Ts are now lower.  The symptoms being described are hypO.  

Yes, unfortunately most doctors do not know how to treat thyroid disease properly.  It doesn't matter whether we are hypER or hypO, the doctors often don't get it.   :rolleyes:

The multivitamin should be fine.  I took that brand for many years before I began using whole foods based supplements for better results.

{{{hugs}}}

#7 Happy0101

Happy0101

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:28 PM

Thank you, thank you, will follow your advice and we shall see. I appreciate your help so much, forever grateful for this forum:)

#8 Happy0101

Happy0101

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:24 PM

Hi Linda, so i started 7.5 mg for a few days and i still feel sleepy, my neck is sensitive and achy/sore/fullness feeling, overall feel tired/sluggish and eyes feel tired as well. Also cold feet and tingling sensation here and there. I dont know what to do at this point, i had labs on 11/09....should i still wait another 2 weeks before new labs and dose change? I am just nervous i can go to hypo... What do you think? Thanks in advance.

#9 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3971 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:26 AM

Good morning Happy0101:

It is much too soon to tell yet from the dose reduction.  It takes about two and a half to three weeks for any new dose changes to shift those Free Ts.  Patient is the key here.

Based on the hypO symptoms you are currently having, these will pass soon enough.  If it were me I'd get labs done around the first week of December.  

{{{hugs}}}  

#10 Happy0101

Happy0101

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:46 PM

I just feel so off, honestly, i know what you are saying makes total sense, but all these symptoms i am having are making me miserable. Like quite enlarged thyroid on the right side, noticeable to me for sure, so tender, like i cant stop touching it during the day and it feels like it is inflamed....and all the sleepiness, brain fog, anxiety, tingling....i hope i didnt enter hypo hell:( I should mention i am not gaining weight though, eating normal, but this symptom that is usually attributed to hypo is not there. I absolutely didnt feel like this 2 weeks ago! Yes i had symptoms, but thyroid symptoms that i mentioned above and sleepiness werent there.... At what point should i be concerned? I now have all these crazy thoughts that something is wrong:( Sorry about bombarding you with questions, i am just so confused and nobody seems to get why i am feeling like this....thank G-d for this board!

#11 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3971 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:36 PM

Hi:

Yes, being patient is what is needed to be done.  It is not fun to be hypO.  :(  

I have been at it for 17 years now.  If I suspect something is happening it takes me just three days to know what my thyroid is doing and I can quickly make the dietary and vitamins/supplements corrections (with not knowing my latest labs) and I will have stopped from going all the way hypO or hypER.   :)

You will too, with time and practice, be able to do this as well.  :)  :wub:  

{{{hugs}}}   

#12 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:41 PM

Hi Happy

Being patient is perhaps one of the hardest things about being treated for Grave's disease. It could be that even on the lower dose your hormones may continue going down, the problem with testing early is that it probably wont give you an accurate picture of what is going on.

Realistically our bodies probably wont respond to a dose reduction within days, and feeling awful after a couple of days on 7.5mg is probably due to hormones still moving down from the previously higher dose. It's a bit like a train applying the breaks, it takes a while to stop. It might help to look at it as if the first few days to a week is your body still dealing with the earlier dose (so in this case hormones probably still trending downwards - hence the hypo symptoms) The second week after a dose adjustment the thyroid is likely recalibrating and hormones may stop falling, continue downwards somewhat more slowly or even move back up, or maybe even a mix of these things . By the third week things have usually settled down so a blood test at that point will give you a better idea of how your body has settled into the new dose. It's frustrating, especially when there's a reasonable chance that we will have to lower the dose further, but it's hard to be sure - and a period of three weeks seems to give us the best chance of assessing what a new dose is doing :)

If you compare this to blood tests to adjust thyroid hormone replacement, it's actually resonably quick, because there one has to wait at least four weeks and most doctors like to wait at least six weeks!

{{{Hugs}}}
Allies
:)

#13 Happy0101

Happy0101

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:43 AM

Hi Linda and Allies, thank you both for the support and taking the time to respond to me! I will try to push it through for one more week before testing again and we shall see....

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service