New Graves Diagnosis + Symptoms - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

New Graves Diagnosis + Symptoms

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stephroddo

Stephroddo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:52 AM

Advertisement
Hi all,

Im mostly wanting to know if there is a better symptoms list. I first went to my IM complaining of light tingles in feet and hands and some muscle weakness in arms and legs, Diarrhea and insane anxiety and insomnia. Ive never had a racing heart or hand trembling.

My thyroid test came back as hyper thyroid. My ultra sound came back with two nodules that dont need to be reviewed for a year. And my anti body test came back as positive. I havent had any issues with my eyes. I got referred to an endo.

Its been just over 3 weeks on methimazole and the muscle weakness has slowly gotten better. Some tingles are still there but learned I also have a B12 deficiency and am wondering if that accompanies Graves? And how I should supplement?

I did get new labs and all the things (TSH, T3s T4 etc) are all back in normal range. My endo said I will still feel pretty crappy as my body gets use to normal levels.

I guess Im not really asking anything. Just want to hear what Im feeling is normal as Im so scared and didnt realize the thyroid even touches the nervous system etc. i dont think Ive cried more in my life thinking I had all these other awful disease. I have a 14 month old and just want to be healthy to care for her so badly. Hoping to find sweet and hopeful responses and comments vs. those that instill more fear. 🤍

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3995 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:16 PM

Hello Stephroddo and welcome:

I was post partum 7 months when I began with my symptoms so that is how I found out about having Graves' Disease.

Please do not worry or stress over having Graves' Disease.  It really isn't so bad once our thyroid levels normalizes.  

Vitamin deficiencies are quite common.  I had to supplement with the ones I was low in.  I also took an Iodine-free multi.   

Oh there isn't a better symptom list than what is already listed here for this board.  

{{{hugs}}}

#3 Allies

Allies

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:42 PM

Hi Stephroddo :)

Hyperthyroidism causes the metabolism to go into overdrive and burn through vitamins and minerals faster than is normal, so it's not unusual to have deficiencies. Deficiencies can themselves cause symptoms

Muscle weakness, especially in the large muscles in the arms and legs seems quite common in Grave's and are apparently caused by the muscle wasting that occurs in hyperthyroid Grave's disease - I remember not being able to get up out of a squat without some rather embarrassing flailing around and hanging onto things, luckily that symptom passed :)

Tingling of the extremities is less specific. In fact a lot of symptoms that we may have are what doctors might call 'non-specific' and occur in many conditions. That's not to say we necessarily have more than one condition, but it does shine some light on why doctors don't always recognise some symptoms as being related to a hyper- or hypo-thyroid episode. You seem to be monitoring your symptoms closely the trick is to not let this make you extra anxious - which is easier said than done.

Do keep an eye on your thyroid hormone levels (FT3 and FT4) as methimazole should be reduced as these move down into the reference range to avoid overshooting into hypothyroidism.

I guess Im not really asking anything. Just want to hear what Im feeling is normal as Im so scared and didnt realize the thyroid even touches the nervous system etc. i dont think Ive cried more in my life thinking I had all these other awful disease. I have a 14 month old and just want to be healthy to care for her so badly. Hoping to find sweet and hopeful responses and comments vs. those that instill more fear.

What you are feeling is normal, even the fear and anxiety. Things do get better with proper treatment :)

Allies
:)

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service