2 replies to this topic

#1 Sammy

Sammy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:50 AM

Advertisement

It has been nearly 2 years now since I have been diagnosed with Graves disease. Never had anything seriously wrong with me up to this point. I had also had the radiation treatment this past summer. Still unclear as to if I regret it. This whole experience has dumb founded me. Along with the graves I also have the eye disease and the skin disorder. I had all the symptoms like many of you have described and still having conflict with my eyes and the skin disorder. The doctors think my dosage of medication is right now taking 150 of levothyroxine, first time I got same dosage twice in a row anyways. Still dont feel like myself. My only regret is not doing more research on this before removing my thyroid. I was in such shock I had just done what my doctors told me was best, Im just now beginning to absorb how important and serious this disease really is. Everyone told me it was serious but my way of coping with this was just kept telling myself it could be a lot worse disease. My life has been so busy and hectic that I felt like I couldnt set and sulk over this little set back.Reality is setting in and as much as I hate to admit, its not a little set back I been in denial and scared. At times I feel so mentally fatigued and unstable, not sure if its the medication or not having a thyroid anymore or who knows maybe a whole set of different issues, I trying to give this medication time to work before I go complain to my doctors the last thing I want is another medication to remember to take. If we can get my eyes under control that will feel like a major accomplishment. As I truly hate that everyone here is going through or been trough what I am I hate it for you, but it is also comforting to know that Im not totally crazy that many of you feel the way I do. My Prayers with all!

Advertisement

#2 Adam

Adam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

Hello my name is Adam I have had to deal with graves for about 16 years. It is not an easy to deal with disease, and I too am sorry for anyone who has this. I had my thyroid removed by surgery back in 2002. It was as if a light switch turned on in the way I felt. I could not move or function well at all. I had insomnia, skin rash, eyes bulging, heart racing, most every symptom that comes along with the disease. I am not sure of the medication you are on but I take Synthriod the name brand only. This is important to know because generic is cheaper but the government does not control the generic like it does the name brand drugs. Example if you take a 125 mcg pill the generic can be off by up to like 15% of the prescribed dose and in micro grams that is a lot. So your 125 could be a 150 or 90 give or take. This makes it really hard to stay regulated. The name brand is only allowed to be off by like 3-5% so you can stay regulated better. I have also noticed that every time you get a refill you have to adjust to the new meds. If you can get 3 months worth at a time it is cheaper and better. I have been to tons of doctors to find out more info on what to do or what to take. The best thing to do is have your blood tested every 3-6 months for TSH, T4, and T3. Usually they will combine all of these tests. It is important to take your pill every day and keep your TSH in the normal range. I let my get to 100 and it is the highest I have found and heard of and my doctor said I should have been in a coma and dead. Also you should have your thyroid checked by a ultra sound. Radiation kills the thyroid but it can still become cancerous years later and may need to be removed later. That is why I had mine removed surgically. Hope this helps and good luck with all of it. I know how hard it is and even though the thyroid is dead does not mean all the symptoms go away so if you need to see the doctor to help with other problems do so.

#3 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Sammy and Adam,
Please post in the thyroid discussion section.This is just for our stories and is overlooked by most everyone.
If you have questions or are in need of support,please go to the discussion section of this board.

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service