13 replies to this topic

#1 lemming

lemming

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:46 AM

Advertisement

When ever we think of Stop smoking drugs , the positive effects of it comes to our mind. Good breathing, less risk of heart attack problems, lung cancer, stroke like wise, a lot of positives. The lists of benefits are long, if we take things seriously.

A bad habit, whatever the mode be, brings in bad name to the person concerned with. Stopping such habits will bring in self-esteem, reduction in tension etc. Most of us get tied up to a habit, when you are get used with something. Nicotine is something that beats us really down.

We feel powerless and weak, which leads to the destruction of our self esteem. Quitting tobacco empowers people more than what they really expect. So, move on, you are in the right direction.

Advertisement

#2 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

What does this have to do with Graves disease? This is a Graves and Thyroid forum,not a quit smoking forum.

#3 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

I'd comment, but I'm on a smoke break -

#4 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

LOL !

" SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
Smoking By Pregnant Women May
Result in Fetal Injury,Premature
Birth And Low Birth Weight"

Got that right off my pack of butts.

Damned good thing we're not
Pregnant!

#5 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

Yeah, you and me both, Rowdy!! You got me interested in the labels on my cigs now. The carton lists the "ingredients" -- guess what?!?! Mine have HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP in them! What in the ______?? Oh, and it says, "Warning: smoking is addictive."

What "lemming" doesn't realize while posting his/her/its SPAM here is: cigarettes contain thiocyanates which has an antithyroid effect (in essence, a goitrogen). Google it and you'll find these kinds of studies:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/496223_3

Endocrine Effects of Tobacco Smoking: Thyroid Gland

Clin Endocrinol. 2004;61(6) 2004 Blackwell Publishing

Konstantinos Tziomalos, Faidon Charsoulis, Division of Endocrinology, 2nd Propedeutic Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Hippokration General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece

excerpt:

"Smoking has a significant impact on thyroid function. Thiocyanate, a major component of smoke, derived from hydrogen cyanide, leads to increased excretion of iodine, inhibits iodine uptake by the thyroid, competes with iodide in the organification process (Ermans et al., 1980), and inhibits thyroid hormone synthesis (Fukayama et al., 1992). It is possible that thiocyanate has both anti- and pro-thyroid actions: a pro-thyroid action in normal subjects and an antithyroid action in patients with subclinical and overt hypothyroidism. Nevertheless, it seems more likely that this dual mode of action of tobacco smoke is a result of the effects of multiple components of smoke, such as nicotine, hydroxypyridine metabolites and benzpyrenes, which may also interfere with thyroid function (Ermans et al., 1980; Melander et al., 1981; Sugawara et al., 1982; Sepkovic et al., 1984; Ericsson & Lindgarde, 1991; Utiger, 1998). Variations in iodine intake might also modulate the response to smoking, the predominant action of smoking being antithyroid when iodine intake is low and immunogenic when it is adequate."

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT endorsing tobacco smoking!

#6 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

Your carton has a list of ingred? Mine doesn't.LOL Guess the corn syrup is to make us sweeter? :)
I smoke humps and all that is listed is the warning.
Different states...different laws I guess.

Here they can no longer have "lights" on the cigs.
How about there.Wonder if this is just a state by state thing or national.

#7 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

Well, I don't think you and I could GET any sweeter than we already are..... hahahaha! Mine used to have something like "chocolate extract" listed, but now it doesn't. "Flavored" cigarettes are illegal here now -- no more cloves cigs, etc.

I'm sure the labeling laws are different in each state. The ingredients aren't listed on the pack, just the carton. And I don't have a carton of DH's cigs right now to check his. His packs don't have it listed, but maybe the carton does.

Mine still say "ultra lights" and his say "lights" (different brand), so California hasn't done much about that. Why did they eliminate "lights" on the label there? Are there still "regular" and "lights" but just not listed as such? If so, how can you tell what you're buying?

Out here they've all but made it illegal to smoke anywhere. Tree-hugging, beansprout-nibbling, granola-munching, kefir-slurping left-wing fanatics!

Where's the tylenol?!?!

#8 Rowdy

Rowdy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

HAHAHAHA! I know we're the sweetest! Wow chocolate! YUM

We go to New Hampshire to get butts since they're about $20.00 cheaper.Here in Ma they're like $70.00 per carton.
So when I went in and asked for Camel lights,the guy handed me Camel Blue. I questioned him and he told me that the laws have changed.
Cigs can no longer be sold as lights.People sued the cig company and won.They claimed that they thought lights were safer to smoke.
If there's the tiniest loop hole....someone is going to find it!
Hey I'm an adult,I am the one putting that butt in my mouth,I know the dangers of smoking,and yet I still smoke.No one has forced me to.
Do I think I should sue the cig company for what I do.NO! Things that people do.Gotta love it.

#9 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4001 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hey I don't smoke, but thanks for sharing all the tidbits facts on the cigarettes and smoking being goitrogen and such.

Gee Chris are you serious? The cigarettes contain high fructose corn syrup??? Wow...! :blink:

{{{hugs}}} :rolleyes:

#10 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hi Linda,

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back here. Yes, I think my cigs are one of the few that list the ingredients, and those have changed over time.

Yes, the goitrogen effect was a surprise to me, too. The compound is thio-cyanate. Thio is sulfur, and the main component of ATDs (and goitrogens such as broccoli) is sulfur. So it makes sense.

This article is from 1997, but it explains some of the odd ingredients:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-12-04/news/9712040151_1_liggett-group-low-tar-brands-secondhand

"The list released by Liggett includes ingredients that even the most devoted smoker might find unappetizing.

In addition to blended tobacco and water, the 26 ingredients that go into L&M cigarettes include molasses, phenylacetic acid and oil of patchouli.

Among the other ingredients are high fructose corn syrup, sugar, natural and artificial licorice flavor, menthol, artificial milk chocolate and natural chocolate flavor, valerian root extract, vanilla extract, cedarwood oil, glycerol, propylene glycol, isovaleric acid, hexanoic acid and 3-methylpntanoic acid.

That list may differ substantially from popular low-tar brands or from such standbys as Marlboros or Camels."

Hope you are doing well.

Hey Rowdy!

I wish we could drive to another state to pay less for butts, but it would be quite a trek to get to Nevada or Arizona. Of course, the way things are going around here, moving to Arizona sounds better all the time!! GO AZ!! Funny how the morons on the L.A. city council are boycotting Arizona, but they better watch it. AZ has control of our water supply and power supply, too. This could get interesting..... the dopes! hahahaha!

Best Wishes,
Chris

#11 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4001 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

Hi Linda,

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back here. Yes, I think my cigs are one of the few that list the ingredients, and those have changed over time.

Yes, the goitrogen effect was a surprise to me, too. The compound is thio-cyanate. Thio is sulfur, and the main component of ATDs (and goitrogens such as broccoli) is sulfur. So it makes sense.

This article is from 1997, but it explains some of the odd ingredients:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-12-04/news/9712040151_1_liggett-group-low-tar-brands-secondhand

"The list released by Liggett includes ingredients that even the most devoted smoker might find unappetizing.

In addition to blended tobacco and water, the 26 ingredients that go into L&M cigarettes include molasses, phenylacetic acid and oil of patchouli.

Among the other ingredients are high fructose corn syrup, sugar, natural and artificial licorice flavor, menthol, artificial milk chocolate and natural chocolate flavor, valerian root extract, vanilla extract, cedarwood oil, glycerol, propylene glycol, isovaleric acid, hexanoic acid and 3-methylpntanoic acid.

That list may differ substantially from popular low-tar brands or from such standbys as Marlboros or Camels."

Hope you are doing well.

Hey Rowdy!

I wish we could drive to another state to pay less for butts, but it would be quite a trek to get to Nevada or Arizona. Of course, the way things are going around here, moving to Arizona sounds better all the time!! GO AZ!! Funny how the morons on the L.A. city council are boycotting Arizona, but they better watch it. AZ has control of our water supply and power supply, too. This could get interesting..... the dopes! hahahaha!

Best Wishes,
Chris

Since I'm from AZ...I can definitely say go AZ...!!

{{{hugs}}} :D

#12 Monica

Monica

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hey all!

I'm one of those tree hugging,granola munching you know whats but to tell the truth I could care less who smokes as long as I don't have to breath it. I have a severe allergy to nightshade vegetables and guess what, tobacco is a nightshade vegetable. Depending upon how much exposure I get I can have anywhere from muscle twitching to a full blown seizure. I don't think that I should have to hide in my house because of someone else's right to blow smoke in public. I see it as an infringement of my personal freedoms to be infected by someone else's personal choice. Thank goodness smoking is outlawed almost everywhere in GA now except bars and I don't go to bars.

OK, off my soapbox, how are ya'll doing??

#13 Lakelover

Lakelover

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

June 18th was the 6 month anniversary of my quitting smoking - cig's and hopefully forever this time.

I LOVE smoking which is why I gave it up - a closet smoker since the 6th grade - yes the 6th grade and I am now 46.

When I hit the been a smoker for over 35 years point of my life and the fact I was more nervous smoking trying not to have my kids catch me I decided to finally quit. A recent addiction to Yoga was probably more the reason as you can't be doing Yoga and having cig smoke on "the breath" LOL

A bit of tobacco trivia... I worked for RJR Nabisco way back in the late 80's when packs of cigarettes were in the candy dishes at corporate in Winston Salem NC. They actually allowed smoking anywhere in their buildings including the elevators. Winston Salem was always he best smelling city to me as the smell from the manufacturing of cig's leaves the city with a "sweet smell". I wonder if that is the high frutcose?

In their gift shop one item that stands out is an insulated jug that is imprinted with "We work for Smokers" I bought it(on clearance for $5) and still use it 15 years later but my kid has now covered the phrase with a Reef (shoes) sticker. B)

#14 Monica

Monica

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

Congratulations Rose!!! That is really really hard to do. You should be so proud!

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service