Pls Advise - Should Eltroxin And Ptu Be Taken Together? - The Lounge - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Pls Advise - Should Eltroxin And Ptu Be Taken Together?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HyperT

HyperT

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:32 AM

Advertisement

Hi,

My mom has just been prescribed both PTU and Eltroxin, and she's supposed to take them at the same time.
Considering their difference (i.e. one for Hypo, another for Hyper), I'm wondering if that's wise?
Wouldn't the thyroids get confused .. like .. hello, should we slow down or speed up here?

Here are the blood works from the 2 previous endo visits:-
- March
FT4 = 0.88 (0.93-1.7)
TSH = 0.04 (0.27-4.2)
(From this appointment, she was prescribed PTU @ the dosage of 2 after breakfast, and another 2 after dinner.)

- May
FT4 = 0.73(0.93-1.7)
TSH = 5.61(0.27-4.2)
(The above resulted in the endo adding Eltroxin to the already prescribed PTU.
PTU dosage: 1 after breakfast, 1 after dinner.
Eltroxin dosage: 1/2 tab after breakfast.)

So now I'm thinking .. shouldn't the PTU dosage merely be reduced, and no need for Eltroxin?

Advice, please .. anyone?

Much appreciated!
HyperT :-)

Advertisement

#2 Misty

Misty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

Hi, When people are hyperthyroid, they are sometimes put on both a thyroid hormone suppressant and thyroid hormone, as was done with your mother. This rests the thyroid and gives it time to heal while keeping thyroid levels (FT4) in the normal range. What I don't understand in your mother's case is why, when she started medication in March, her TSH indicated her thyroid levels were too high but her FT4, the actual thyroid level, was already too low.

In the US we would recommend antibody tests (TSI) to indicate if she really was hyperthyroid or if she had another condition like Hashitoxicosis, where, as I understand it, the thyroid is losing function and is giving off spurts of thyroid hormone as it fails, which would lower TSH while the person was actually becoming increasingly hyperthyroid (lowering FT4).

I think an explanation from the doctor would be called for. Generally, the goal is to keep the FT4 at least in the middle of the range, so the Eltroxin may need to be increased if she really needs to be kept on the PTU.

Best wishes,
Yvonne

#3 HyperT

HyperT

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:12 AM

Thank you so much for your kind response, Yvonne. :-)
Mom feels better now that she knows taking both PTU & Eltroxin won't end up confusing the thyroids.
Now, while her GP encourages it (taking both meds), the endo doesn't ... oh, well ...

I'll ask her endo about TSI.
Thanks again, and Bless you.
:)

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service