6 replies to this topic

#1 sarah

sarah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

Advertisement

hi all, hope you dont mind me posting im new on here.
i have just been looking on the internet when i came across this website.
i have just been diagnosed with graves disease (04 june 2010) little bit scared as some of you well know.
dont really no alot about the disease its self but having read some info on here it has helped me a little.
thanks

Advertisement

#2 Misty

Misty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

Welcome Sarah, Glad you posted. Feel free to ask any and all questions--that's how we learn.

I was diagnosed in 2002, took meds for 3 years, and went into remission with the help of the people here. There's no need to destroy your thyroid gland with radiation or remove it surgically--remission is possible for most of us, and for many people it's long lasting.

The key is learning to eat right and reduce stress. There are many tips in the thyroid 101 section. Important things to avoid are iodine, aspartame (the artificial sweetener) and cigarette smoke. And anything you can do to reduce stress, from yoga to a relaxing bath, will help your immune system heal and help it return to normal.

I had to learn to get copies of my labs and pay attention to my thyroid levels and the choices my doctors made for me. The good news is that once you start an antithyroid med and maybe a beta blocker to slow your heart rate, you will start feeling so much better.

Best wishes,
Yvonne, in Maine, age 56

#3 sarah

sarah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

See thats where some of my problems lie. I am a smoker (i know im trying to give up) and im a very fussy eater so im probably not helping myself to much
altho i dont have high stress levels im quite easy going.

Ive been put on carbizamol as i suffer from asthma and cannot take beta blockers. Apart from the major headache im feeling a little beter.

Just wish that when i say im ill people would belive me as some people think i am making it up, but having read some peoples stories it seems to be a
common thing for people.

Its good to know that websites like this exist as this website has been very helpful for me to understand what i have wrong with me.

sarah, england uk, 27

#4 Misty

Misty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hi Sarah,

I will post the link to the site of our medical expert, Elaine Moore. Elaine herself has Graves'. She has written books on Graves' and related topics and has advised thousands of people with Graves'. Her site has a whole variety of articles on everything from emotional effects to dietary changes, and she is very knowledgeable. She will also answer any questions we can't answer here:

http://elaine-moore.com/

For future questions here you can write on the main board rather than this lounge section, and more people will notice your post.

Here is a letter to friends and family written by patient advocate Mary Shomon. Once in a while we disagree with her ideas about Graves', but I think the letter covers some important points and may help.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/bookssupportresources/a/letter-to-family-friends.htm

You will also meet some fellow Brits here on the board. For example, Simon has been around since I first joined in 2002 and is very knowledgeable.

Personally I would switch the cigarettes for a nicotine patch or lozenges--it was while smoking that my thyroid eye disease developed, as the cigarette smoke can trigger it, and if you can avoid that part of Graves' things will go much easier for you.

It's also important to eat well. You need lots of protein to replenish what your super high metabolism has burned up. A good vitamin without iodine is also very helpful (iodine fuels the thyroid so you need to avoid it). And many of us are low in vitamin D3, and getting your levels up will quickly help you feel stronger.

Controlling allergies and avoiding any immune system stimulants (like echinacea herb) will also help your immune system heal.

I also have asthma and couldn't tolerate the beta blockers, so I used a calcium channel blocker to control my heart rate.

The carbimazole is important to control your actual thyroid levels. Your TSH will stay low because the Graves' antibodies keep it low, but the trick is to stay on just the amount of carbimazole that will keep your actual thyroid levels, measured by the FT4, in the middle of the normal range. The FT4 will start to drop after a few weeks, and a savvy doctor will know to reduce the carbimazole to keep it from falling too low, which is not good for you either.

Many of us here were "superwomen" before developing Graves', and one of the lessons is to learn to slow down and take care of yourself. It was a tough one for me, LOL.

If you are just starting the carbimazole it may take a wek or too before your levels return to normal. But you can look forward to sleeping better and a general improvement in mood and physical symptoms soon.

And keep posting and asking questions here. It's very hard to learn new material when you are hyper and just diagnosed.

Best wishes,
Yvonne

#5 sarah

sarah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:22 AM

thanks you xx

#6 gkatherine62

gkatherine62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:57 AM

I keep hearing about dietary changes....we should begin a forum where members post recipes :D ... I enjoy good recipes.
Katherine

#7 Misty

Misty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

https://www.livingwithgravesdisease.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26-gd-friendly-recipes/

Hi Katherine,

We do have a recipe thread, at this link.
Best,
Yvonne

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service