#1 PinkDiamond9

PinkDiamond9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

As I read more of your posts I see many of the symptoms I experienced (sore feet followed by nausea, cold hands and feet, buggy eyes, lack of concentration.... and some weakness) over a number of years (in fact from when I was quite young and used to get very sore feet prior to throwing up). None of the doctors picked them up until a recent doctor - who is really great....He sent me to a gynaecologist recently for polyps and ordered some blood tests. Then I was diagnosed with Graves Disease. The doctor thought I would need radioactive injections, but the endocrinologist has me on Neo-Mercazole and yes, there are 'shadows'on the thyroid but no cancer, I've been told. I take two tablets a day.

What I am curious about is - how do you decide to tell people you have Graves Disease? I so far have only told some family members and a few close friends. However as it has affected my working life very much - before I was diagnosed my career in education was ruined (I resigned) and sometimes it affects my study of Law (if I get tired). I am wondering about this. Being an 'independent soul' I do not 'want' any special concessions but may need it in some instances. I also participate in some sports such as aerobics, swimming and fencing and wonder whether I should tell the instructor(s) - at least for fencing.

I'm interested to hear how others have managed this.
Looking forward to hearing more.

Advertisement

#2 _DonnaFrances

_DonnaFrances

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

What I am curious about is - how do you decide to tell people you have Graves Disease? I so far have only told some family members and a few close friends. However as it has affected my working life very much - before I was diagnosed my career in education was ruined (I resigned) and sometimes it affects my study of Law (if I get tired). I am wondering about this. Being an 'independent soul' I do not 'want' any special concessions but may need it in some instances. I also participate in some sports such as aerobics, swimming and fencing and wonder whether I should tell the instructor(s) - at least for fencing.

I'm interested to hear how others have managed this.
Looking forward to hearing more.

I'd be cautious personally. What might be helpful, is to muse on if you were an employer, professor, what-have-you
and your employee/student/etc; told you they had Graves'...maybe just sit w/ that awhile, see what you come up with.
What info would you need, and at what point could that become too much info/drama, etc;
Pam L. (of this forum don't know if she's current now) was a great one for considering both points of view, she was
really good at it -- practiced it.

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service