amd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:20 AM

Advertisement

Hi,
Is there anyone on this forum that is located in Toowoomba, Brisbane or South East Queensland that can recommend and endocronologist that doesn't think the only way to treat Graves disease is with RAI or Surgery?
My Dr is consulting with an endo in Toowoomba her plans are RAI (this will not be happening)This is what she has advised my Dr. I must admit I have not had a consultation with this endo yet so perhaps she might be open minded to ongoing ATD's hopefully this is the case.

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:13 PM

Have you tried this site yet?

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/australia.htm

Good luck and {{{hugs}}} :)

#3 Jenny

Jenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hi,
Is there anyone on this forum that is located in Toowoomba, Brisbane or South East Queensland that can recommend and endocronologist that doesn't think the only way to treat Graves disease is with RAI or Surgery?
My Dr is consulting with an endo in Toowoomba her plans are RAI (this will not be happening)This is what she has advised my Dr. I must admit I have not had a consultation with this endo yet so perhaps she might be open minded to ongoing ATD's hopefully this is the case.

I haven't been in here for quite some time so my reply is a little late and you may have already found someone. I live in Brisbane (previously Esk) and have been seeing Dr. Christopher Strakosch at the Greenslopes Private Hospital for several years. He use to visit Ipswich but no longer does so he may be too far away for you. He's a tad expensive(you do get a portion of the cost back from Medicare however)so I'm unfortunately transferring to the RBH public clinic, how that will go is yet to be seen. Dr. Strakosch puts forward your options but considers your choice and never attempts to force you into any radical treatments, he has always been happy to plod along treating me with Neo-Mercazole. If you're still searching good luck, if you've found someone..great!

#4 amd

amd

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:37 AM

Hey Jenny nice to hear from you.
I was referred to an endo in Jan this year and it took six months before I actually got to see her and she was well worth the wait. If I wasn't happy with her my next appointment was going to be with Dr. Christopher Strakosch at the Greenslopes Private Hospital:-)
Dr Cook has a private clinic at the public hospital in toowoomba (Base hospital)To my suprise I was bulk billed for my appointment and i made sure I got my medicare's worth from her I spent and hour and half discussing graves. it was great she listened to my concerns and worries and assured me there was no reason for me to have RAI or surgery, she said we have options and my GP shouldn't have told me she planned to give my RAI as that wasn't the case. I admitted to her I had been self medicating (with help from people on this site) showed her all my results and where I had reduced the medication and she said I had done a good job (people on this site had done the good job). she asked if had I reduced it since the last blood test which I hadn't as I had gone to a new GP and thought I'd better do as I was told even though I wanted to reduce it. she told me to reduced the medication to bring my t4 back to mid to high level.
Anyway I had a blood test today the first since my visit to the endo so I will get the results next monday. I will post the results next week.
thanks again for replying it's nice to hear from people close to home.

#5 Jenny

Jenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:34 AM

Hi again (sorry, I can't see your name anywhere)
It sounds like you are on a good wicket with Dr. Cook, I wish I were closer as I think I'd ask to see her too. As I mentioned, I am transferring to the RBH Endo unit and will no longer be seeing Dr. Strakosch. He use to bulk bill but no longer does and I can't afford him. I had been seeing him for 6 years and asked if he'd consider doing this for me (it is up to the discretion of each doctor) but received a definite no. So much for caring about the health of a long term patient. To be honest, although he never pushed me to do anything radical and was always happy to plod along with medication, that's about all he did. I couldn't really talk to him, I found in recent times he doesn't seem that approachable. He also dismisses any "symptoms" as being only something you have if Graves is left untreated.
I am nervous about going public as I'm concerned that if I wind up with the wrong Doctors they may try and push for RAI which I am dead against and I am certainly not in favour of a thyroidectomy. For the life of me, I cannot see the point in removing something that is simply a "target" of the disease and not the cause.
I have been attempting to get an appointment with a private Doctor at Milton (Dr. Hadley...google him), he sounds brilliant and seems he has had a lot of success in treating thyroid problems in a more natural way, in the meantime, I guess I'm meat for students. It's great we have the public system as back up, but I doubt there's an Aussie that would disagree that the public system as it is, is very sick (excuse the pun). I will try to remember to get back in here once I have had my first appointment, and let you know how I get on.
Good luck with your treatment, sounds like you're on a winner!

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service