Gd Hyperthyroid Male Hurting Marriage, Career, Self - Personal Stories - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Gd Hyperthyroid Male Hurting Marriage, Career, Self

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Grave Irishman

Grave Irishman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

Advertisement

First off thanks for being here. I was diagnosed a week ago, and put on a beta blocker to start to steady my heart rate and bp. I was actually happy to receive the diagnosis for I thought I was going crazy! I am a mid 40 sumthing, married, 2 small boys, IT career, and generally a hard worker regular guy.
Over the past few years there have definately been changes in my personality that I simply assumed were from new kids, career wife on the road, and me trying to hold things like glue. I gained a good amount of weight and turned into a cranky, and sporadically raging house frump.
After some painful relationship issues just over the past 6 months, I found myself 30 pounds lighter but beat red, hi bp, and assumed it was "life" and a new exercise regime.
I got a daycare cold from one of my kids and my Wife suggested some bloos work and physical, and that's where the Graves comes in to play.
I fear I have done too much damage to my Wife and our relationship from my outbursts, way higher than normal you know what drive, where I was once a proud happy contributing member of church & my world, almost feel agoraphobic.
The beta blocker seems to have helped my anxiety and BP and panic attacks, but now I hope anyway comes the chance to learn about this and start a recovery process.
I am 19 years sober in AA, and am looking to leverage my God, Friends, and principles to help me through this, but BOY do I need support.
I am hoping I can get some input from others members with close or similar stories, and maybe some guidance as to help show my Wife that at least some of the past year may very well be from this, and that there is hope.

Advertisement

#2 cd3764

cd3764

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1781 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Sorry to hear we have yet another member in the Graves' club.

My signature tells my story - I honestly believe that some of the doctors that treat
Graves' disease are worse than the disease itself.

There are lots of experienced members on here who will be more than happy to help
you on your journey.

Since most of us have suffered at the hands of clueless doctors, you just might want
to consider sharing your lab/meds dose information as you move forward.

I will tell you this much, your thread will get a LOT more attention if it's posted in the
General Discussion Area.....the personal stories section is really just that - a place
to tell your story vs. get input.

However, I will share with you what I consider a great read about the impact Graves'
disease can have on relationships:

http://home.rica.net...information.htm

There is a light at the end of the tunnel with Graves' disease and you've come to one
of the best places on the net to learn about Graves' and how to feel well while having
thyroid disease.

Best of luck to you - hope to "see" you in the general discussion area.

#3 jerkurz

jerkurz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

First off thanks for being here. I was diagnosed a week ago, and put on a beta blocker to start to steady my heart rate and bp. I was actually happy to receive the diagnosis for I thought I was going crazy! I am a mid 40 sumthing, married, 2 small boys, IT career, and generally a hard worker regular guy.
Over the past few years there have definately been changes in my personality that I simply assumed were from new kids, career wife on the road, and me trying to hold things like glue. I gained a good amount of weight and turned into a cranky, and sporadically raging house frump.
After some painful relationship issues just over the past 6 months, I found myself 30 pounds lighter but beat red, hi bp, and assumed it was "life" and a new exercise regime.
I got a daycare cold from one of my kids and my Wife suggested some bloos work and physical, and that's where the Graves comes in to play.
I fear I have done too much damage to my Wife and our relationship from my outbursts, way higher than normal you know what drive, where I was once a proud happy contributing member of church & my world, almost feel agoraphobic.
The beta blocker seems to have helped my anxiety and BP and panic attacks, but now I hope anyway comes the chance to learn about this and start a recovery process.
I am 19 years sober in AA, and am looking to leverage my God, Friends, and principles to help me through this, but BOY do I need support.
I am hoping I can get some input from others members with close or similar stories, and maybe some guidance as to help show my Wife that at least some of the past year may very well be from this, and that there is hope.

I was recently diagnosed with grave's disease with only (?mild) orbitopathy manifest as periorbital edema and some pressure sensation as my only symptoms. I saw my ophthalmologist who checked me out and said he'll see me in 3 months. I live in northern NJ and need to find an endocrinologist who is experienced and knowledgable in grave's orbitopathy. Did you find a good one in New Jersey?
JK

#4 GigiPrice

GigiPrice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Hi Irish- I went through Grave's Diseaseat the age of about 32. I wouldn't wish this disease on my own worst enemy! Luckily for you and others there is the internet and you can get support and information that way.
I look back and see how really sick I was, and how emotionally labile I was too. Your wife can contact me if she doubts that your illness has had an effect on your emotions and your brain function, etc.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! MOST people with Grave's respond well to treatment and continue with their lives... Patience and a good doctor are the 2 things you need to have.

Sincerely, GigiPrice

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service