Gd Hyperthyroid Guy Worried About Mental State & Marriage - The Lounge - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Gd Hyperthyroid Guy Worried About Mental State & Marriage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grave Irishman

Grave Irishman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:56 AM

Advertisement

First off thanks for being here. Per the suggestion of another member, I am reposting this from the personal stories section with the hopes of getting some more feedback.

I was diagnosed a week ago, and put on a beta blocker to start to steady my heart rate and bp. I was actually happy to receive the diagnosis for I thought I was going crazy! I am a mid 40 sumthing, married, 2 small boys, IT career, and generally a hard working regular guy.
Over the past few years there has definately been changes in my personality that I simply assumed were from new kids, career wife on the road, and me trying to hold things like glue. I gained a good amount of weight and turned into a cranky, and sporadically raging house frump.
After some painful relationship issues just over the past 6 months, I found myself 30 pounds lighter but beat red, hi bp, and assumed it was "life" and a new exercise regime.
I got a daycare cold from one of my kids and my Wife suggested some blood work and a physical, and that's where the Graves comes in to play.
I fear I have done too much damage to my Wife and our relationship from my outbursts, way higher than normal you know what drive, and where I was once a proud, happy, contributing member of church & my world, almost feel agoraphobic.
The beta blocker seems to have helped my anxiety and BP and panic attacks, and now I hope comes the chance to learn about this and start a recovery process.
I am 19 years sober in AA, and am looking to leverage my God, Friends, and principles to help me through this, but BOY do I need support.
I am hoping I can get some input from others members with close or similar stories, and maybe some guidance as to help show my Wife that at least some of the past year may very well be from this, and that there is hope.

Advertisement

#2 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

Hi Irish!

Please read all you can about this disease. You will find the more you know, the better you will be able to control it effectively. I'm sorry this is so brief, but I have to take off to the dentist..... oh for joy!

And special congratulations to you for your 19 years of sobriety!! That's truly an amazing accomplishment. My husband will be celebrating his 32nd "birthday" here soon.

Best Wishes,
Granny Chris

#3 _DonnaFrances

_DonnaFrances

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

PM sent, G Irishman.

#4 Rhonda

Rhonda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

First off thanks for being here. Per the suggestion of another member, I am reposting this from the personal stories section with the hopes of getting some more feedback.

I was diagnosed a week ago, and put on a beta blocker to start to steady my heart rate and bp. I was actually happy to receive the diagnosis for I thought I was going crazy! I am a mid 40 sumthing, married, 2 small boys, IT career, and generally a hard working regular guy.
Over the past few years there has definately been changes in my personality that I simply assumed were from new kids, career wife on the road, and me trying to hold things like glue. I gained a good amount of weight and turned into a cranky, and sporadically raging house frump.
After some painful relationship issues just over the past 6 months, I found myself 30 pounds lighter but beat red, hi bp, and assumed it was "life" and a new exercise regime.
I got a daycare cold from one of my kids and my Wife suggested some blood work and a physical, and that's where the Graves comes in to play.
I fear I have done too much damage to my Wife and our relationship from my outbursts, way higher than normal you know what drive, and where I was once a proud, happy, contributing member of church & my world, almost feel agoraphobic.
The beta blocker seems to have helped my anxiety and BP and panic attacks, and now I hope comes the chance to learn about this and start a recovery process.
I am 19 years sober in AA, and am looking to leverage my God, Friends, and principles to help me through this, but BOY do I need support.
I am hoping I can get some input from others members with close or similar stories, and maybe some guidance as to help show my Wife that at least some of the past year may very well be from this, and that there is hope.

#5 _DonnaFrances

_DonnaFrances

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

Irishman,

Hope to see you posting on the Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion.

-DF

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service