#1 Jill

Jill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:59 AM

Advertisement

Hi all
I'm new here and just wanted to say Hello, I was diagnosed with Graves in Oct 2008, I had block and replace treatment and came off meds in Jan 2010, I've since been in remission since then. It's so good to be able to chat to people and share experiences who know exactley how we sufferers feel, from experience some people who don't have Graves disease find it hard to understand how I feel especially as I looked well even when I was quite ill
Jill x

Advertisement

#2 Christine

Christine

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hello and welcome to our group, Jill -

We're always so pleased to hear when someone is able to achieve remission. Did you do anything such as make dietary changes to help you manage your Graves'? Please feel free to share any of your experiences. We'd love to hear about them.

Do stay aware of any suspicious symptoms and get labs if you think your levels may be changing, either higher or lower. Once we have Graves', we need to be vigilant and make sure we keep an eye on it and keep it under control. If it were to return, which I pray it won't, you can easily do another course of meds if necessary, and can reach remission again. Many patients aren't aware of that fact and end up being told by the doctor that if remission doesn't "take" you must go for ablation of the thyroid gland. That is hogwash--just so you know.

Congratulations! Your story is an inspiration to all of us!

Best Wishes,
Granny Chris

#3 Jill

Jill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:16 AM

Hello and welcome to our group, Jill -

We're always so pleased to hear when someone is able to achieve remission. Did you do anything such as make dietary changes to help you manage your Graves'? Please feel free to share any of your experiences. We'd love to hear about them.

Do stay aware of any suspicious symptoms and get labs if you think your levels may be changing, either higher or lower. Once we have Graves', we need to be vigilant and make sure we keep an eye on it and keep it under control. If it were to return, which I pray it won't, you can easily do another course of meds if necessary, and can reach remission again. Many patients aren't aware of that fact and end up being told by the doctor that if remission doesn't "take" you must go for ablation of the thyroid gland. That is hogwash--just so you know.

Congratulations! Your story is an inspiration to all of us!

Best Wishes,
Granny Chris

#4 Jill

Jill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hi Christine,
It's good to have someone/somebody to share this debilitating illness with. I stoped smoking a couple of weeks before I came off my meds to seek remission, I started swimming every week and I tend to eat healthy, I stopped coffee and drink decafe I alow myself one ordinary cup of coffee a day, I do like my wine and refuse to give that up.
During remission I had the most stressfull year ever from family illness, work the list is endless, just when I said " God what else can happen" it did.

Things have settled stress wise but two weeks ago I notice my hair falling out, my sleep has been rubbish not that it was great before and I've had bad headaches with nausia, so I wanted to nip things in the bud and went to my GP on Monday, had bloods done and will find out this week what my levels are.

I'm terrified I'll be ill again, last time I put symptoms down to menophause so by the time I was diagnosed I was on rock bottom and it took a long time to reach some normality.I discussed with my GP what happens if I'm borderline, she said she'd speak to my endoc, if my levels are normal she still wants to see me to try and find out what's causing the symptoms I'm having.
The first time I saw my endoc he mentioned ablation, I'm dead againt it, I thought he was being a bit premature in suggesting that before I was even medicaten.
Thanks for your support fingers crossed for my blood results, Ill keep you posted
Jill x

#5 Jill

Jill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

Hi all
well I got my blood results back it said TSH normal 1.81 ( 0.4-4.0 )
Plasma glucose levels normal 4.6 ( 3.0-7.8 )
So now I have to see another GP tomorrow to see why I'm having the same symptoms when I was hyper. I'm still worried as my hair is coming out in a boat load.
Please tell me if I'm posting this in the right place.

Jill x

#6 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

I would post in the Graves' Disease and Thyroid Forum.

Your doctor needs to order the thyroid tests called the Free T3 and the Free T4. TSH is really useless to go by as it is falsely skewed by thyroid antibodies.

{{{hugs}}} :mellow:

P.S. Please check out the Thyroid 101 link here at this board which explains about the thyroid labs, etc.

#7 Jill

Jill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:18 AM

Thanks mmztcass, I'll ask for T3 and T4 to be tested when
I see the GP today, I'll post my reply in Graves Disease and thyroid forum.
Many thanks
Jill x

#8 gkatherine62

gkatherine62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

Hi Jill...I am new to this site also. What kinds of activities do you like to do? Do you cook? I enjoy new recipes so if you have anything great and easy I would like to try it.
I am afraid to wash my hair for fear my hair will all come out. I do use alot of extra conditioner and scalp stuff, and I take vitamins. I hope things are going better for you :)
Would enjoy hearing about you...
Katherine

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service