#1 mike4856

mike4856

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

Advertisement

Hello,

I was diagnosed with Graves back in 1992 when I was serving in the military. I didn't know much about the disease past what the military doctors told me and opted for radioactive iodine treatment. Soon after I was treated my military career came to a screaching halt. My 1SGT didn't understand the changes my body was going through, and thought I was just trying to get out of exercises and road marches and such. He did everything he could to get me kicked out with a less than honorable discharge. I fought the less than honorable discharge utilizing JAG and was released with an honorable discharge, but this left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. Anyways, what I would like to ask others living with this disease is if your personality changed after your treatment. I believe mine did and not for the good. I have become an introvert, anti-social, low self-esteem, cynical, to name a few. Now some of these might not be attributed to the disease but I'm just asking.

That's all for now. I would appreciate feedback. I don't know anyone else with this condition and never have talked with anyone about this.

Thanks for listening,
Mike

Advertisement

#2 angiegemaling

angiegemaling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

Hello,

I was diagnosed with Graves back in 1992 when I was serving in the military. I didn't know much about the disease past what the military doctors told me and opted for radioactive iodine treatment. Soon after I was treated my military career came to a screaching halt. My 1SGT didn't understand the changes my body was going through, and thought I was just trying to get out of exercises and road marches and such. He did everything he could to get me kicked out with a less than honorable discharge. I fought the less than honorable discharge utilizing JAG and was released with an honorable discharge, but this left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. Anyways, what I would like to ask others living with this disease is if your personality changed after your treatment. I believe mine did and not for the good. I have become an introvert, anti-social, low self-esteem, cynical, to name a few. Now some of these might not be attributed to the disease but I'm just asking.

That's all for now. I would appreciate feedback. I don't know anyone else with this condition and never have talked with anyone about this.

Thanks for listening,
Mike

Sorry to hear that buddy.. I hope you'll get better soon.
best weight loss plan

#3 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

Hi mike:

Ignore the spam from the previous poster. We have been having problems lately with spammers coming over here. :(

I am reposting your post in the Graves' Disease and Thyroid forums as this one here, in the Lounge is for OT (Off Topics).

I am sorry you are going through a lot. Look for my answer in the other forum.

{{{hugs}}} :)

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service