Hello I'm Back New Results - Graves' Disease and Thyroid Discussion - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Hello I'm Back New Results

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tully

Tully

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Advertisement

O.k. now I am totally confused , Taking 20mg mmi a day . recent lab results are TSH 0.013 free T 4 0.8 I have put on another 2 pounds . Dr said to stay where I am at, and not to reduce dosage .TSH has come up a little but the free T 4 has really dropped . I have been on a roller coaster for 2 years. I feel good, just the numbers have me confused. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Advertisement

#2 Gwynn

Gwynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'm the opposite, my numbers are good, but I feel terrible, though my Endo has given me the same advice - stay on the same dosage.

#3 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4048 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Hi Tully:

Please post your lab ranges. If I used my FT4 lab range for yours, I can see that it's heading hypO. If that's the case, then it is time for dose adjustments.

Please review Thyroid 101 for the lab tests to take and read how long to go in between labs and how to dose properly.

I hope you did not stay on 20 mg doses for such a long time.

It appears your doctor is dosing you to get your TSH to come up and is not dosing you according to the Free T4. If that's the case, finding a new doctor who doses according to the Free T4 as well as the Free T3 would be the wisest thing to do.

Slow and steady wins the race here to avoid the roller coaster ride you have been through.

{{{hugs}}} :mellow:

#4 Tully

Tully

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Here are some of my past lab results Dec. 2011 freeT 4 1.7 TSH 0.05 Feb. 2012 freeT 4 1.5 TSH 0.08 . I was surprised that my Ft4 was as low as it is, No I have not taken 20mg the whole time. From August of 2011 to Feb.2012 I was only taking 10mg of MMI. I started to have some issues early Feb. of this year, night sweats, increased heart rate. did go back on beta blocker for 2 weeks , am not on it now. liver and white count are normal. I am also on Dilantin for seizure disorder due to head injury 17 years ago. I don't think either Dr. knows how to treat this crazy disease. If any body knows of any Dr.'s in Pa. that are good please let me know. Thank you.

#5 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4048 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

When you can, please post the lab ranges located on the right side of the lab results paperwork.

Are you taking the MMI in divided doses of two to three times a day? Either every eight hours or every twelve hours?

Do you watch for your dietary and environmental triggers to avoid getting your Free Ts to come up high?

Here's a list for top thyroid doctors.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/

I strongly suggest you get your thyroid level of the Free T3 tested also to see if you have a problem with it.

The low TSH can be from either the Free T3 or the Free T4.

{{{hugs}}} :)

#6 Tully

Tully

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:52 AM

When you can, please post the lab ranges located on the right side of the lab results paperwork.

Are you taking the MMI in divided doses of two to three times a day? Either every eight hours or every twelve hours?

Do you watch for your dietary and environmental triggers to avoid getting your Free Ts to come up high?

Here's a list for top thyroid doctors.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/

I strongly suggest you get your thyroid level of the Free T3 tested also to see if you have a problem with it.

The low TSH can be from either the Free T3 or the Free T4.

{{{hugs}}} :)

#7 Tully

Tully

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

My Endo is on that list, he maybe good with hypo patients but he only wants to do RAI because it is easier to treat hypos that is what he told me. He also takes weeks to return phone calls and forget lab results lucky if he tells me he got the results. So that is why I went back to family Dr. though I am not sure why she is letting the T 4 go so low. I am not her only Graves disease patient. When I was first diagnosed she told me I was the 7th one that week, and every spring she see's more.Stress seems to be my trigger. I have good days where I don't think about whats wrong and then the bad days I have no energy. I seem to have more good days lately other than feeling fat around the middle , Both Dr's said I am at that age. I shouldn't complain it could be worse . Before any of this I didn't see Dr's that often once a year . Thanks for letting me vent. Kathy

#8 cd3764

cd3764

Very Prolific Member

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1781 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

"Good" numbers in doctorspeak mean "in-range".

This does not mean those numbers are right for YOU.

The right way to be medicated for Graves' is to take the lowest possible dose that
will maintain the FreeT4 level above mid-range if not closer to the high end of the
range, regardless of TSH.

Once the FT4 level is in-range, people take what is called a maintenance dose.

The most common maintenance doses are 2.5-10mg/day.

As we move forward in our journeys, we require decreasingly lower doses to
maintain appropriate FT4 levels.

Someone who is 2 years into their journey will very rarely need a dose even as
high as 10mg.

I urge you both to share your labs with ranges so we can show you how to interpret
them. Different labs use different ranges so your results can only be properly
interpreted within the context of your lab's ranges.

It's entirely possible to feel great while having Graves' but, it does require a proactive
patient and a thyroid-savvy doctor.

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service