2 replies to this topic

#1 gkatherine62

gkatherine62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:41 AM

Advertisement

Hello. My name is Katherine and I am somewhat new to this site (I can't really offer any information to others as I am still learning). I moved from Joplin, Missouri to North Dakota, primarily because of the tornado and my daughter, who was buried, could not tolerate wind. I moved to the family farm and raise chickens for eggs and a goat for milk. I help my dad out as best I can (I wasn't diagnosed until after I had been here a couple of months>). I really enjoy the North Dakota skies and the cooler weather.
I am 50 years old with 3 children - all girls. I have a huge respect for those that raise boys ... I think they are so much more difficult than girls. My youngest is an honor student at UND and my middle daughter is with me (she was the one buried by the tornado). My oldest is severally disabled and lives in Minnesota.
I enjoy new recipes either cooking or baking. My newest recipe I am going to try is artichoke/spinach lasgna and then a strawberry/watermelon shake for dessert and to serve as a drink. If you have any fantastic....easy recipes I would absolutely enjoy hearing from you.
I enjoy almost all movies and my favorite tv show is "The Big Bang Theory" and my favorite character is Sheldon. I wish there was someone out there just like him!!!!
I draw, mostly animals and what not. I am not that great at realistic person portraits ... they come out more charachteristic. :D
I used to do a lot of crafts, more with my girls, and that knowledge has served its purpose as I worked in the education field as a para-professional. I currently work at a hospital as an admissions clerk but hope to get more energy back so I can do the para-professional again.
Anyway, would love to hear from you and perhaps gain some friendships.
Katherine

Advertisement

#2 jodileanne

jodileanne

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hello Katherine, My name is Jodi. So you moved from Joplin?

I also moved away from Joplin Mo. BUT I moved a few years before the big twister.

Originally I was a transplant from Southern California where I was born and raised.

I moved to Joplin when I was 18 years old. My mothers folks were both born and raised there.

So I had family there. They had been trying to get us to move out there off and on over the years

from as far back as I can remember.

When I first got there it was a bit of a culture shock... to say the least.

But after a short time I quickly realized that I had been a small town girl living in a big city.... all of my life.

And for the first time I felt like I was HOME!  I went camping and fishing and lived the slow life and loved it.

I made sun tea and sat on my porch swing during the summer. In the fall I watched the trees turn fire red, yellow and orange.

In the winter I simmered soups and stews and baked warm bread for dinner and shoveled snow off the walk in front of my house.

In the spring I planted flowers and watched the grass grow... LITERALLY!! It was amazing. And I loved every bit of it.

I used to say "Here in Joplin people grow families and in California we grow pay checks" my whole focus in life had changed. 

there was so much more time in a day. It amazed me that the very same 24 hr. day could feel so much longer.

But in the year 2000 I moved back to California because the tornado's were to much for me. I developed panic attacks after a few close encounters. I remember the day that I had decided to move. I had been watching the news and they told a story about a woman who was in the closet with her baby under a mattes. The twister took the child from her arms and left her behind.

I just couldn't deal with it any more. That tornado season had been the most active one in the 7 years that I had lived there.

We didn't have a basement but the people next door used to let use go down in theirs. I lived on 20th and Jackson St. Right behind that old hospital that was turned in to a storage. I was so afraid that old building was going to get picked up and set on top of us.

I couldn't even sleep at night. As soon as those sirens would go off I would just tremble with fear.

When I saw the news and the footage from the big twister that hit Joplin I was heart broken! I am so sorry that you went through that.  Any ways... Its a small world.  And on another note I have Hashimoto's and Grave disease. I have found this site to be very helpful. I enjoy reading the personal stories. They give me hope. If you ever wanna chat... feel free to message me.    

#3 naei_am

naei_am

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Hello Katherine,[/font]

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]My name is Janae and I am also new here. Unfortunately I live in Piscataway NJ. Quite further away from where you are.[/font]

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service