Just Thought Id Say Hello And Thank You. - The Lounge - Living with Graves Disease

Advertisement

Photo

Just Thought Id Say Hello And Thank You.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Advertisement

Hello everyone the names Alex! Im from Navarre Beach, Florida (right next to pensacola beach) I was recently diagnosed with Graves Disease in July, my mother noticed my swollen goiter when I was sitting next to a muscle head and my neck was bigger than his! My mother pointed it out and I told her she was crazy! (lol) I go to the doctor get my blood test, and we get a frantic call from him like a week later saying my T count was through the roof and he said I was 2 1/2 months away from certain death... He was worried I would go into a "Thyroid storm" at any moment... Iv seen the endo now four times and my Thyroid is under control with a lot of hard work... I go into the Hospital this Tuesday for RAI treatment.. Looking for more info and just struggling to deal with the fact that I had this disease for so long and the fact everyone I loved around me thought it was normal for me to weigh so little.. I went online and then found this sight, its got a lot of helpful info. Thank you so much.

Advertisement

#2 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hi Alex:

Welcome to the board.

We don't usually recommend that a person coming here to the board to go out and get an RAI right away. Instead, we focus on diet and environmental triggers which you may want to read up at Thyroid 101. We also work on the diet (again look up at Thyroid 101) and aim for eating/drinking healthy. Many of us here eat healthy and natural. I have added to eating organic and avoiding GMO crops which are triggers to my health as I have several autoimmune diseases.

We teach people to learn how to be proactive with their thyroid disease, learn how to get the proper thyroid labs, how often to lab, how to break up ATD (antithyroid drug) doses through out the day, etc.

Once a person gets an RAI done, there is no going back and the thyroid is killed. Because Graves' Disease is an autoimmune disease, it means the thyroid is attacked by the immune system. With the RAI, one still has Graves' Disease and other parts of the body such as the eyes and shins would usually then get attacked.

Read up here and also go to our thyroid expert, Elaine Moore:

www.elaine-moore.com

and read up tons of articles and stuff from her site. She had an RAI done about 25 years and still is suffering.

It sounds like the ATD you are taking has worked so well for you and has made you go hypO.

{{{hugs}}} ;)

#3 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Thank you for the response Linda... Yes I dont know a lot about the RAI, but havent put to much thought into it because the Doctor who is administering the Iodine is good friends with my ma, and he had nothing but good things to say about it, and pretty much said this is the only route I have open. You have spurred my curiosity, I must look into this... Autoimmune disorders do run in my family on both sides. 3 people on my fathers side have died from graves/hashimotos and my grandfather on my Mas side had lupus... The doctor said it would kill the thyroid and I would be on Synthyroid my whole life and probably be checked for cancer every year, he reassured and said most dont get cancer. I dont want my shins or eyes attacked because I have seen the pictures and thats scary to think about. Idk I just got really worried maybe I should post pone the treatment and learn a little more!

Thank you for the Website, and the info Linda! :D

#4 mmztcass

mmztcass

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

People do fine on long term with taking ATD. I have been taking them for 9.5 years now and am doing fine. So many people go into remission and we have a gal who pops up every now and then, who is over 10+ years in remission and doing great. The only reason why I haven't gone into a remission yet is likely because of the several autoimmune diseases I have. However, as long as I am doing fine and taking such wee amounts of ATD daily, it's ok. I have learned not to yo yo hypER/hypO and staying as stabled as I can.

Happy reading/reasearching!

{{{hugs}}} :)

#5 Misty

Misty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

Hi and welcome! To add to what Linda said, since remission is possible for almost everyone, why not try the antithyroid meds first. You can always do the rai later if you still want to.

No amount of Synthroid works as well as your own thyroid gland, which regulates the amount of thyroid hormone depending on what you need at any given moment and is the driver for every system in your body as it determines the speed of your metabolism.

Metabolism is like the engine idle speed on a car--too fast (hyper) and the body runs hot, burns up muscle, heart beats too fast, and the mind races. Too slow, as often results when we are dependent on doctors to give us Synthroid, and the problems are even worse--clogged arteries, high cholesterol, heart problems, always cold, sluggish digestion, muscle aches, brain fog, depression.

But with lifestyle and dietary changes (avoiding stress, cigarette smoke, stimulants, energy drinks, dietary iodine, aspartame artificial sweetener, and controlling allergies), and with educated medical supervision in using the antithyroid meds, you can most likely reach a very solid remission with the bonus that you will have been "cleaning up your act" health-wise. For many of us, that means we are healthier than before we developed the Graves'.

Elaine Moore also writes about how you can repair the damage being hyper has caused to the body. Besides taking steps to reduce stress (and for athletes that also means easing up on training), you can take a good multivitamin (without iodine) and get your D3 level tested. That's the important vitamin we get from sunlight. Also helpful is eating lots of protein and maybe taking a good B complex for energy.

And keep asking questions here--you can also go to the main forum where more people will see your post and read up on self-care in the Thyroid 101 thread.

Best wishes,
Yvonne, diagnosed 9/02, remission (med-free) since 2005, antibody-free since 2010, and at age 58 far more energetic and healthier than pre-Graves'

LivingWithGravesDisease.com is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with your health care provider.

The documents in this website are the sole property of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. They may not be redistributed or sold for profit in ANY WAY without consent of LivingWithGravesDisease.com. Permission is granted for the copying of these documents ONLY for one's own personal use or redistribution to others on a strictly informational and NON-profit basis, provided that: A.) these documents are not edited or modified in any way, B.) LivingWithGravesDisease.com is not held responsible or liable for its content and C.) this notice and the disclaimer below remain attached in their entirety.

© Copyright 2000-2014 All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service